Looking for suggestions on what type of lizard to get

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by eandersen2, Nov 20, 2008.

1. eandersen2

eandersen2 Embryo

I want something docile that I can carry around and wont try to fight me or get away all the time. It is preferable for me that he can live out his life in a 20 gallon tank, so It cant be too large. My 50 gallon tank is stored away and I dont have space to put it anywhere right now, otherwise id probably get a bearded dragon. Any suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

I don't know about 'carry around' but the most docile lizards that could live out a life in a 20G would be either a leopard gecko or a rhac (crestie or a garg). Either will tolerate daily handling and in fact become quite accustomed to it. Not quite as much as beardies but not far off it. We have dedicated forums for both which will give you lots of advise and plenty of previous threads to have a wee look through. Hope you find one that suits you!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Schneider09Skinks

Schneider09Skinks Embryo

I would suggest either green or brown anoles. They would be perfect in a 20 gallon tank and are one of the cheapest, most docile lizards around. Do some research as well on any species.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. SoJocelynWasLike

SoJocelynWasLike New Member

Sorry but I would have to disagree with the Anole suggestion. Anoles become very stressed when handled, and while it's ok to once in a while, you wouldn't be able to carry it around with you the way you would like. If you've ever had a gerbil, it's the same type of thing. they're slippery little things, and will probably just try to get away from you. Although not all lizards are the same, of course =P

I know that there is such a thing as dwarf beardies, you can check that out although i'm not sure a 20 gallon could accomadate them. Also look into Uromastyxs; they're about a step down from beardies in size, reaching about 12-14 inches and they don't need to climb. 20 gallons till might be small for them though, but check it out anyway. Whatever you get, look into the maximum length of the lizard and make sure that the tank is atleast twice that and that your lizard will be able to comfortably turn around with plenty of room.

I personally would reccomend a gecko; they're your safest bet when it comes to size... I'm pretty sure one would fit in a 20 gal, and they don't need to climb, so its ok that your tank is long and not tall. They're pretty cool and although they're not as personable as beardies, they are ok to handle and I have actually seen people walk around their house with a gecko. It all depends on the personality of the gecko you choose, I guess. They're also really pretty =P

Another option is that if none of these work for you, you could always use the 20 gal as a temp tank for a baby beardie or another lizard, that way you'll have time to set up your 50 gal so that they're ready to move in once they outgrow the 20. hope this helps!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. beefcake

beefcake Member

i agree , but i believe uromastyx get bigger then 12-14 to inches. someone can correct me if im wrong.. but thats exactly what i did with my 20 gallon, i raised my beardie in it while it was a baby till i got my 90 gallon. but for a 20 you could keep two adult female leopard geckos. they arent super exciting or super active,( they come out at certain times during the day)but that doesnt keep them from being a very fun lizard to raise imo.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Yeah, I agree; uros are too big. Also much higher maitenance than geckos.

I'd go with a leo or a rhac. Or you could always consider a snake (<3) or an amphibian. (About snakes, I think some types of milk and king snakes can be kept in 20gals. People say that corns and balls are ok in a 20gal, but I strongly disagree. I think adult corns should be in at least a 30gal and adult balls in at least a 40gal. Just my 2 cents.)

12. jopogo

jopogo Embryo

I am assuredly bias. But I agree with Schneider. My anoles (a boy & a girl) love to crawl around on me or my girlfriend during tank cleaning. We are careful not to overhandle, but if a guest wants to hold them, they have no problem. They simply love a gentle stroke under the chin. Mine have become territorial & I don't have to worry about leaving the tank lid open as they know where 'home' is & won't wander off. My 20 gal. is more than enough room for them both, though, I do have a separate 10 gal. to put him in if she starts stressing. Just my experience with a couple great little lizards.

13. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

leopard geckos are really personable and docile. i disagree with anoles, they get stressed a lot.

btw, this thread is dead guys. the questioner isn't here anyway . .