Looking for advice, Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada Forum' started by Riagan, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Riagan

Riagan New Member

So I have an Ocellated / Australian Velvet Gecko (Oedura Monilis) and I am wondering what other breed will get along well/okay without causing fights or anything between, and what size of tank would be best for me to get, or I was wondering if i get a big enough tank, like the Tetrafauna Delux Sliding Glass Door thats 12"D x 30"W x 18"H would that be big enough. I read some of the reviews on the petsmart website about it and they all good except for someone who has 3 small snakes that keep getting out, my guy is as big as hes going to get and i want to give him more space and i also want to put in a small waterfall and such for him as well, so I need something that will be pretty big for him. I also have to make sure its going to fit on my dresser I have it on now, and being 12" now it hangs off the back end about 1/2" - 1" so it cant be much deeper than that. Also where would I go to find another gecko of the same and would anyone be able to give me some advice on breeding. What would I do with the babies if I don't want to keep them, can I privately sell them, or sell them to a pet store (I bought my guy for roughly 130$), or just not let them get fertilized. I cant seem to find much info on it on the internet and there's not much in books about my guy so Ive read as much as I can on my guys when I got him, and now I'm just flying by the seat of my pants so to say haha. So if there's any advice or words of wisdom anyone can give me or websites they can direct me to or even if they have one of these guys them selves anything you can tell me would be awesome! Thanks so much :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hey Riagan,

Unfortunately, there are no other species that would be able to live with your gecko. It is generally not recommended to mix species for a number of reasons, such as bullying, stress, disease, different husbandry needs, etc.

You may place another Oedura monilis in with your current pet, but only if you have two females. Males will inevitably fight with one another and a male and female will breed. Breeding is generally more work than it is worth, and the female will need several months out of the year to recoup from the stresses of breeding and laying, so you will ultimately need an additional enclosure for the female several months out of the year if you do plan to breed. Selling babies is usually more difficult than novice breeders anticipate - particularly for an uncommon species like the velvet gecko.

As for more reading and information, I'm really not sure. I'll try to keep my eyes peeled for those who have had success keeping and breeding this species though = )

Cammy likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

I have nothing useful to say... but its awesome to see another Canadian on here!