lookin into gettin a iggy

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by rezon, Aug 13, 2004.

1. rezon

rezon New Member

ok me and my girlfriend really want an iguana and we would like to have a great knowledge about them b4 we go ahead and get them so does anyone know a good resourse i can use to teach me the basics on owning a iguana?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I thought Iguanas were illegal to keep in NYC/Manhattan?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

they are suppose to be illegal to keep in the bronx, queens, manhattan, and yonkers. but no cops really enforce the fine/animal confiscation unless someone calls and complains about the iggy

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

here's meliisa kaplan's site: www.anapsid.org read everything you can and be prepared for a large, time-consuming, pet.

that is, IF you decide to get a pet that's (unfortunately) illegal.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rezon

rezon New Member

they are illegal. . . but ima keep it in her house which is in westchester new york. . . and the law says that there illegal to be sold not to be owned cuz at one point there where begin sold in nyc but then when the law came in the state said that pre-owners can keep them the law just says u can buy new ones

there still some pet stores in the city that have a blackmarket that sells them any ways like a store around my house which takes u down the the storage basement and they sell them there and u have to take it home concealed

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, I think you'd be doing the iguanas a favour if you reported those stores to the cops. I guarantee you 99% of those iguanas won't make it to a year old.

12. Hummingbird

i TOTALLY agree . . .

p.s. rezon - did you read anything on melissa kaplan's site yet?

13. rezon

rezon New Member

well i wouldnt want them to shut the place down its like 4 block away from me then where am i gonna get my supplies and stuff. . . but then again i can go to the pet stores around my girls house

yes i have checked it out i like wha i see i have learned a few things allready i have to keep looking threw them thanks

14. herpslave

herpslave Member

I think you should reprt the shop rite away... Supplies and feeders are not worth making herps die, especially when they have a long llifespan to live. Don't know if water drgons are illegal, but they make good pets I think. And they ofcoarse love water too.

15. rezon

rezon New Member

well to report them who should i call the cops or the ASPCA?

16. herpslave

herpslave Member

Both. They both hold different authority. So you could get the shop in trouble in alot of different ways.

17. rezon

rezon New Member

there was this one place in harlem that they had a dog in a kennel in the back and the guy yeld at it and kicked the kennel i should really report them but yea ill get on the job

18. lturbott

lturbott Member

I think it is a mistake buying iguanas from pet stores or breeders period. There are so many of them out there being mistreated and abandoned that to add to this is a crime in itself. The statistics of how many are brought into the country each year is so high that it is sickening considering how many are here already that are not being cared for. If you are seriously thinking of getting an iguana please go with adoption. Give the ones that are here and need help a hand. That is just my 2 cents. Please read these sites. I have a few others I need to locate and will post at a later time.

http://www.reptilerescueca.org/Iguana_Tears.html

http://users.ids.net/~equanah/index.html

I just can't get that url code right!

19. herpslave

herpslave Member

Yah and if he gets to that call to aspca and cops he could be rescueing animals himself.

20. lturbott

lturbott Member

That would be an awesome thing. I think every state should adopt this law in regards to iguanas. The pet stores sell them at such a low price that way they make the money buy selling the supplies, which most of the time aren't the right ones in the first place!

21. rezon

rezon New Member

i see shelves stocked with alot of products with iguanas on them are they any good or are they all just BS?

22. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

most of them are bs. usually the "iguana vitamins" are worse for the ig than if you didnt supplement its food at all. the hammock is good for them to lay on. i would stay away from all commercial diets. usually if its something other than food it is usually good but products to lay on are only good for such a short time with these guys.

23. Hummingbird

usually they *suck*. the little colored pellets can be a snack (like a teaspoon every couple months on their greens), but that's about it. and none of my igs have ever liked the stuff. the fresh produce is absolutely the best for them - and it's cheaper than the commercial stuff, too.

24. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Exactly, I've never been to a pet store who told me that the $10 iguana would require a $1,000 outdoor enclosure once it grew up. I knew this anyway, but I can't count the amount of times I've been into a pet store and they've told people they'll only grow as big as the enclosure they're in, that you can keep them in a 20g tank their whole lives, etc. Same with burmese pythons. The majority of pet stores are all about the money, and don't give a crap about the animals - of course, there are exceptions.

25. Hummingbird

sadly, i couldn't agree more . . .