long tailed lizards eggs

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by CREBBEAR, Jul 24, 2005.

1. CREBBEAR

CREBBEAR Embryo

I recently purchased two long tailed lizards, my first reptiles! Today I found a small white oval object on the heating rock. Is this an egg? If so, what do I do?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. garybingham

garybingham Member

i would place the egg in a plastic tub with DAMP linning (paper towels ) and some air holes in the lid then do a serch on google and try to get some more info

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CREBBEAR

CREBBEAR Embryo

Thanks. I've been on line for hours and haven't found anything yet. I already moved the egg off the rock but I think it cooked. :( I've also learned I shouldn't have the rock in there at all (although they seem to like it). Any recommendations on sites/books on husbandry for this breed?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. garybingham

garybingham Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. garybingham

garybingham Member

LONG TAILED LIZARD
    Takydromus sexlineatus
    Origin: Throughout southern Asia and beyond
    Family: Polychrotidae

Imported species usually arrive from Malaysia, China and Vietnam.
    This small sized lizard has a total snout to vent length of 6.5cm, total sizes including its extremely long tail 36cm. This thin build lizard has a tail up to six times longer than its body. Its scales are large and keeled two lateral copper/gold stripes run the length of the body, overall colouration ranges from dark to light brown. Males are more colourful having green flanks the belly colouration in both sexes is cream white.

In its native environment this lizard, with its extremely long tail is perfectly adapted to life in amongst tall dry grasses and bamboos. It can also be found in secondary forests, between sea level and 1,500m. This sun loving lizard is diurnal and most active during sunny days.

The cage should be tall and as big as possible these are active lizards, moving with ease among the provided décor. A natural vivarium with vines and real or plastic plants should be used. The required humidity of around 75% should be provided with a daily light misting, a shallow open water dish should always be available.

Long-tailed lizards, as mentioned are diurnal, so a UVB light source must be provided for a period of 10-12 hours a day, the UVB tube must be changed every six moths. Heating is best provided through lamps on dimming thermostats. A day time “hot spot” of 85ºF and an overall background temperature of around 74-80ºF will suit them well. A slight night drop of 5ºF may be beneficial.

Food can consist of all suitably sized commercially produced live foods, and hedge sweepings, remember to only collect from areas you are sure pesticides have not been used. A good vitamin and mineral supplement should be used twice a week, or as per the manufactures instructions.

Long-tailed lizards are egg layers. Two to three eggs are laid at the bottom of grass clump. The eggs hatch in approximately six week as miniature replica’s of the adults. Males can easily be recognised by a large swelling at the base of the tail.

If the correct environment is provided these enchanting little lizards could live up to 4 years, and should provide young periodically. If the cage is large other species such as green anoles and house gecko can be added.

©2004 Fauna Import UK ... Webdesign Knight-Weaver

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. garybingham

garybingham Member

thats all i can find at the moment but ill keep looking so look out for more eggs and good luck

gaz

12. CREBBEAR

CREBBEAR Embryo

Thanks again! I found those as well. This egg was definitely cooked. I haven't seen any more but will keep my eyes out. In general with reps do the eggs need to be removed from the environment? I've no clue with reptile breeding...

13. garybingham

garybingham Member

remove the eggs as soon as they are layed but dont turn them you could place a egg layig box in the tank. Cut a door in a plastic tub with damp chemical free potting soil in the bottom of it cos if it going to lay more eggs it will probley lay them in the box just keep an eye on it and keep it damp inside dont know what temps to keep them at hopefuly someone else who dose will answer you soon but what i told you applies to most lizards

14. CREBBEAR

CREBBEAR Embryo

I just found a good article on the long tailed with info on breeding. For anyone else out there that might need it here's the link. http://www.reptiliansworld.com/Longtails.html

Thanks again for your help. I'll try setting up the box and see what happens

15. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

More than likely it was an infertile egg, if it layed it on a heat rock. Ussually Long Tails lay there eggs in moist areas like under a water bowl or in damp ground cover, so if your looking be careful not to move the egg or turn it. If you find them under the water bowl leave them there and they are more likely to hatch on their own.