Lokis new tank!

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by dekor, Nov 8, 2007.

1. dekor

dekor New Member

Well went down Living Reef in Dartford with the intentions to buy a new heat lamp as my one has died a terrible death.

Ended up leaving with a new tank for Loki my Savannah Monitor. Is going to last him until we get our house sorted and can build the custom 6x4x4.

This one is 4x2x2 and he is absolutely loving the space!

Was considering keeping the missus in it! She didn't take to the idea!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Great new tank! WOW.. i live in Dartford :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

Nice tank!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dekor

dekor New Member

Do you go in living reef often Luke? Got a nice variety in there. Was lucky not to come home with some more friends!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Varanus99

Varanus99 New Member

Very, very pretty. Wish I had one just like it. The cage looks nice, too :D

You know I cant help commenting on monitor enclosures so here goes.

Thats a good size for the lizard in question. I see it has a closed top and vents near the bottom. Perfect. Not really deep enough substrate to burrow due to the doors but this is a raise up cage and burrowing really only becomes crucial when they are nesting. When you build the final cage you may want a deeper substrate but for now you're fine. And there's a lock on it. Thats good these guys have been known to open sliding glass doors. I kid you not.

The only thing I would suggest is an elevated basking platform since the lights are quite high. This will give you access to higher temps with the same wattage bulbs and a better gradient. This can be accomplished with plywood but since I can see you would like an attractive cage and plywood is quite ugly you can get the same effect with cork bark stacks or even a few thick branches at different levels. Also you will effectively increase the space the lizard has access to. Right now everything above his head is dead space. By using stacks you provide more surface area, hiding places and basking spots. I love'em.

See what happens when you go to buy a new light? LOL!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dekor

dekor New Member

I know bloody pet shop! One day Varanus you'll have one just like her, except perhaps without the ability of convincing you to buy things!

Yeah there are vents in top end of the back on other side. I have blocked one as cables have had to come through there but left one available incase it gets too hot. In early monitoring stages for temperature so seeing how it goes.

I have put in a new branch like thing for him to be closer to the heat lamp for basking which he has taken full advantage off!

Yeah the substrate was the only one problem I thought but plan on resolving that by making an incline in soil at the back.

Yeah the fact that the tank is attractive was a bonus but trust me when I custom build it wont be looking as attractive as this one!

Only problem now is I have a spare 24inchx12.5x14 viv and already wondering what to purchase next!

12. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Yea, im in there from time to time dekor, i had a few issues on their care methods though, so i do try to steer clear, but they have some great tanks and species in, a little pricy though. Where abouts ya from then?

13. dekor

dekor New Member

The lovely town of chatham!

14. deydey

deydey Member

so do you guys know where I could get hold of a viv of 6x4x4?

15. wearentfree420

wearentfree420 Member

Hey deydey this topic is almost 2 years old, just to let you know :)

16. dekor

dekor New Member

Deydey, I'm currently in the process of building my own 6x4x4 as the only places I could get quotes for tanks this big were uber expensive. Personally I would recommend building it yourself. It has taken me a while (mainly because I am a busy dude) but will be worth it when complete.