Loki photos and intelligence debate

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by dekor, Sep 14, 2009.

1. dekor

dekor New Member

Already posted below images in photos section but I know some users who only read the monitor section and wanted to ask fellow sav owners some questions!

Bit of a debatable subject. As most people know Sav's aren't very social animals and not exactly dependant on human interaction. However since I have moved home temporarily and had him in his room I have got to spend more time than usual with Loki and have found a few interesting characteristics. Firstly I under estimated him the other day. He had just been out having an explore following feeding and I put him back in his tank put the lock on but forgot to turn the key whilst I went to toilet. So i'm minding my business in the loo when I hear scratching at the glass. I assume he is playing up and didn't think anything of it. Then I heard a dropping sound on floorboards followed by sound of glass doors opening. Then the footsteps of an inquisitive sav on the floorboards of my bedroom floor. Next thing I know there is a scratching at the door of the bathroom. I open the door to discover Loki who walks in and over to me! I have tested multiple times and he has definately learnt how to open the door (if not secured properly). Also he knows his way around my dads house as well which is quite impressive. The strange thing is out of all the rooms he could have gone to why did he come to the bathroom seeming to know I was in it!

I know many people disagree with free roaming and I am one of them, due to temps it is not a good idea. However I find that if I am in the bedroom Loki comes to the glass expecting to be let out. When I do he will often have a walk around then come to wherever I am (assuming for food or due to some recognition). Oh that and he does enjoy having a lay down under the covers milking of my body heat!

Even better than all of this I got to witness Loki in an almost sleep walking state the other day. He decided to sleep outside of his custom built house. In middle of night he stirred. He lifted his head still with eyes closed and moved around. Walked into side of tank. Yawned several times and then got comfy again and feel asleep!

Not exactly a most thrilling post so I'm making up for it with below photos. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experience of savs intellectual capabilities and human recognition.

Well as some Sav owners know getting them to stay still for photos isn't easy but here are a few.

Here is some of him exploring my bedroom!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was great, Loki seems to know that after feeding him I head off to the gym. So in order to get more food or attention he decided he would climb in my gym bag!

[​IMG]

Oh and my missus left us unattended for ten minutes and came back to discover us both having an afternoon nap. Note to Sav owners, don't let them realise that the bed is more comfy than their tank!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

Monitors are very smart! I was surprised myself with the intelligence my monitor has. He knows his way around my apartment, very obviously knows the difference between my smell and other peoples and is little box trained. From conditioning he knows that if someone is in the room he may be let out and becomes fidgety which is probably the same case with your monitor. Monitors are also excellent at escaping. I read an article about a year ago about a zoo (I think in Africa) using monitors to test the possibilities of escaping in new enclosures for other animals. So leaving a insecure lock on a cage might as well be an open door in some cases.
    Wonderful pictures of your lizard though.