Live Plants in Iguana Terrariums?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by baby, Dec 1, 2004.

1. baby

baby New Member

I have a juvenile iguana (Approx. 5 years old and fairly small). He is housed in a pretty large terrarium (About 5 feet x 4 feet x 2 feet), that is plenty tall and spacious enough for a plant of some sort. Does anyone have any recommendations about good plants for iguana terrariums? He is well fed and enjoys basking under his heat lamp most of the time, so I am not too worried about him destroying it by eating all the leaves or climbing it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hibiscus plants are great, but be warned - iguanas *love* hibiscus and the plant and all it's flowers may be gone in a matter of days! lol! we just keep a hibiscus that we pull the flowers off of to put in the dish as a treat sometimes because iggies love the plant so much. i'm sure there are some cheaper safe plants you could put in there, but i can't think of any right now.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

They love the hibiscus leaves even more than the flowers, and they're better for them.

Honestly though, I'd forget planting hibiscus. We have three 5ft iguanas. In Annie's enclosure we planted half a dozen 4ft high hibiscus plants... within 2 days, she'd annihilated all of them - as well as the mass of salad she was already being fed.

I know, you said you're not to worried about him destroying it, but you'd be replacing them weekly with a big healthy iguana.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. baby

baby New Member

Thanks for the advice!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Glendappp

Glendappp Embryo

I also tried live plants. Even in a large enclosure, they were trampled and eaten. Besides the costs, there is also some danger.
    Plants from commercial sources are frequently sprayed with pesticides. Some commercial greenhouses mist weekly with chemicals. Glenda

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. baby

baby New Member

Hmmm, yeah I guess maybe I'll just try out some silk fake plants instead...