Live plants for snake enclosure?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Stealth_Raptor, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Stealth_Raptor

Stealth_Raptor New Member

Good idea or no? Right now it is about roughly, give or take, 2' by 1' by 1'.

I am thinking of putting some air plants on the side of the enclosure, however no idea for any other kind of plants. I need some ideas here as far as plants go, unless I am being advised not to place any.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Snakes seem to mangle stuff i am not sure live would be a good idea unless it was a very sturdy plant.

Also depends what kind of snake is going in the tank. Ball pythons and most boa's will just smash it and rip it up lol

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Stealth_Raptor

It is just going to be a Children's Python for now. I have been looking at aloes, snake plants (the irony!) and bromelids, heh. The others I am not sure if they would be hardy enough. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. zoro

zoro New Member

I have a childrens python in a tank measuring 2x1x1 and he doesn't climb much but anything that can be knocked over is knocked over and I am constantly picking everything up propbably something really sturdy would be fine but it is hard because of the lack of height

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

Check out The Art Of Keeping Snakes by Philippe de Vosjoli. It will describe how to set up a bio active snake enclosure and has pages of recomended plants, and substrates.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Stealth_Raptor

Thanks. I got no inention of making a bio-active environment. I love plants, and I figure why not give the benefits of the smaller plants to the snake and switch the plants out as they bigger, so they don't look so puny when I set them up around the house. The idea came to me when I was looking at people keeping cactis in their aquariums to "grow out."

I will still pick up the Vosjoli book though.

It definately need to be sturdy. Snake Plants and Aloes are the only thing that come to mind. Pothos would be torn up, however their growth rate might make up for it.

12. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

You can also use succulents. If ripped out of the ground, they will root themselves back into the soil. They can also live a long time without soil.

Have you tried Resurrection Plant?? They can live months without water or soil. Then when wet they will get bigger. It is nice a soft too. It is perfect for a snake to lie on.

Sincerely,
    Dahaki

P.S. Pythos are very hardy plants. All you need to do is plant them. Let them grow and get rooted. After that they will be unmovable. It will be like a garter going through a bush.

What about Dracaena? Those are nice, palm trees. They are green, purple, and maroon with a very sturdy trunk. Put in consideration of my most favorite plant the Dracaena. They are nice!!! (cousin: Dragon Tree -- lighter than Dracaena --)

13. Stealth_Raptor

Which Dracaena are you referring to? Almost all of them are nicknamed Dragon Trees. Some of them can be quite filmsy, so I am not sure which species you are referring to.

I think i will go out and buy some Snake Plants (Sansevieria spp.), Golden Pothos (Epiprennium avreum), Aloes (Aloe spp.), Ponytail Palms (Beaucarnea recurvata), Jade Plants (Crassula ovata), ZZ Plant (Zamiocucas zamiifola) and Dracaena spp. as well as any Resurrection Plant I can find, since it applies to a whole family of them.

I am also going to buy the book The Art of Keeping Snakes by Philippe de Vosjoli as well.