Leopard Lizard Care Sheets

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Sitonatak, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darlene

Darlene New Member

RE: I have a leopard lizard too.

ljs mom 99: Please visit http://ollieheartscrickets.blogspot.com and if your lizard looks like Ollie (or any of the bigger lizards) it's a leopard lizard. Some people mix up long-nosed leopard lizards with leopard geckos.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. cooljerk

cooljerk Embryo

re: ljs_mom99

Six inches is nowhere near "full grown" for a leopard lizard. In fact, that's just barely past the hatchling phase. Leopard lizards can get to be about 12-14 inches long in maturity, and older females can get to be (rarely) 15"+.

As far as care sheets go, check this particular thread because I believe there's a link somewhere for info. In general, they need conditions that mimic Nevada deserts. Which means plenty of REAL, NON-FILTERED SUNLIGHT and heat (with the usual cool spot/shady spot that these cold-blooded guys need), cool temps overnight (indoor house temps are OK), a wide variety of live, gut-loaded food (crickets, grasshoppers, butterflies, moths, mealworms, smaller lizards, pinky mice) and a terrarium with plenty of real estate. They are diggers and love to dig themselves a home at night and "shut the door" (meaning: close up the hole with sand, only to burst out again in the morning). So get a good amount of sand with some clay and soil mixed in, so when you dampen it and let it dry out, it will provide a firm, dense foundation for his digging.

Leopard lizards are bar none my favorite lizards, and I hope you'll feel the same about your little guy.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Firefang

Firefang Embryo

Does anyone know where to buy or catch a leopard lizard? I live in New Mexico and have been doing quite a bit of reaserch on them. I have searched the web for places to find them and haven't had any luck. So far I partialy own a timor monitor- soon to have two- and searching for a leopard lizard. Any help on finding one would be great.
    thanks,
    firefang

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Firefang

Firefang Embryo

also, does anyone have a price range?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sitonatak

Sitonatak New Member

Hey Firefang,

I got my leopard lizard from my local pet store in Saugus, Ma. The employee that sold mine to me told me that they are hard to come by, but every now and then she is able to order them. Since I bought mine in February of 2005, I have only seen one at the pet store since. I am not sure if you can buy them online anywhere. However, just so you know price range, I bought mine for 29.99 at the pet store where animals are usually priced a little high. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Amy

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Firefang

Firefang Embryo

Thank you very much. Though that actually seems quite low, considering my brother's Timor Monitor was $150, not including supplies.

12. Firefang

Firefang Embryo

Are leos the same as leopard lizards?

13. Sitonatak

Sitonatak New Member

NO. When people refer to a lizard as a leo, they are most likely talking about leopard geckos. Not many people are aware of leopard lizards because they are so rare. Many will think you are talking about a gecko, but from the pictures we have posted here you can clearly see they are not geckos. :eek: They are much better looking than the geckos I think, and they won't drop their tails. :)

14. Firefang

Firefang Embryo

Okay, thanx. The leopard lizard is a lot cooler than the leopard gecko. I know, my friend has one. Still, i am thinking of going up to Sante Fe and catching one.

15. crmison7575

crmison7575 Embryo

16. bruno

bruno Moderator

This topic is now 5 years old and the last reply was 3 years ago.

PLEASE READ ANNOUNCEMENT AT TOP OF EVERY FORUM BEFORE REPLYING TO POSTS.

ANYTHING OVER 2 MONTHS OLD IS CONSIDERED A DEAD TOPIC UNLESS IT'S ONGOING WITH UPDATES