Leopard Gecko climbing glass???

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by bluesquirrely4, May 22, 2005.

1. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

I have a leapard gecko that for no reason (to me at least) likes to try to climb the glass of her tank.... She will stand on her back feet with her hands on the glass looking at nothing or trying to climb up it. Is this normal, does she need something? Can anybody give me any pointers?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ecko_996

ecko_996 Member

This even though it seems very strange tends to happen with just about every leo out there there is nothing wrong with your leo. By the way welcome to the forum.

Bradon

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

yeah, every leo I know does it too at one time or another. Mine does it pretty often, climbing desperately and start sliding/tipping over when he gets too high - pretty amusing. I think if leos can get one wish they'd wish for the sticky feet pads like most of the other geckos have!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

My theory is that it's 'that time of year'. Obviously, I have very little experience to back me up on this, but it's my theory none the less. Being breeding season, they want to start roaming however far they have to roam to find a mate. As there isn't any males in my girl's tank, she has to try to go beyond those borders.
    For those with much more experience, am I crazy? Oops, better bound that. Is my theory crazy?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ecko_996

ecko_996 Member

Since we switched from a 15gal to a 33gal our gecko has not tryed to climb the glass once.

Bradon

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

I think it is a space issue. If you saw something off in the distance you wanted to get too and did not understand the glass barrier you would do the same thing. I have seen all of my leos do this.

12. DizzyStar

DizzyStar Member

"Oh.... its that cat again... taunting me with its freedom... tryign to start somthing huh? BRING IT ON, CAT! **** i'm going to come out there and kick your furry ***!!! %*#&$@(&"

13. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

OK well that makes me feel better that its not just her. Could it be a space issue? She is the only one in her tank, she is only about 6-7" long and is in a 20 gal long tank.

14. ecko_996

ecko_996 Member

a 20gal long is way more space than the smallest recomended they say that you can keep a leo in a 10gal and lots of people do but a 20gal long is great.

Bradon

15. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Since trying to climb is nothing to get alarmed about. You can just leave him to it. If you don't have a place where he can climb, you may want to provide him a little climbing structure.

16. DiamondDancur

DiamondDancur New Member

Lol, I like your theory!!