Kings snakes, why so popular?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by ayasha, Apr 7, 2006.

1. ayasha

ayasha New Member

Hi gang....

I am just interested in all the hullabalooo about Kings... i get the BP (ball python) thang, Corns..sure, easy enough... It seems in my Forum Herping that Kings are on the rise as far as popular snakes.

Tell me why my friends... there are a couple of Cali Kings at my local breeder and was thinking of adding one to the collection (Corns,Black Pine Snake, Uromastyx and more).

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

I ask myself the same question..as well as with milksnakes. But must assume that beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) Each to their own!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ayasha

ayasha New Member

he he... aren't all snakes beautiful? lol

To you King owners.. is it size? markings? temperment? Care requirements? just the 1st you got, loved them since?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. discus

discus New Member

well i dont have a king right know but i am working on getting a MBK but when i first started to keep snakes it was the king that got me into them.
    But a corn came up for a good price so i went that way.

But what got me hucked on kings was that its priety cool to have a snake that is immune to snake venome and can kill and eat a rattler(priety dame cool)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

In the event, of course, that a rattler sneaks its way into your cage you know your snake's safe :( LOL!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

I am startin to breed kings and the colour for me does it mate(as well as the bein safe from rattlers feeling they give you :)lol

12. reako45

reako45 Member

Kings have got a great distribution area across North & South America (keep in mind that technically Milksnakes ARE kingsnakes). They've got their own personalities, attitudes etc. They come in a variety of colors from Mexican Blacks, to Peanut Butter (which looks like straight yellow to me) Brooksi's, to holbrookis & splendidas, to the beautiful thayeris & alternas. I keep a WC female Cal King, a Sinaloan Milksnake, and a Speckled Kingsnake (L.G. holbrooki). Take a look @ some of the photos over @ the kingsnake forum on www.kingsnake.com, and you'll see why these hardy, wonderful serpents are so popular.

reako45

13. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I've got a question...if milksnakes are technically kingsnakes does that mean they are cannibalistic as well?

14. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Super sleuth Ash on the case ^_^

15. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

Milks are known to eat other snakes, but they are not as well known for the act, as Kings.

I might get a Milksnake one day. I like how amazingly it mimics the Coral Snakes.

16. ayasha

ayasha New Member

OK, great stuff so far. I am interested.

I am not a huge python/boa fan, I suppose partially because of body type and partially cause ‘everyone has one’ it seems.

I really enjoy my Black Pine and have been looking into gophers (Sonoran?). Kings now have my attention.

Next question; My local reptile store (yes, reptile, not a Pet store), has a couple young Cali Kings. Are there certain things I should look for when inspecting them?
    Anything to look for with the 2 Cali's they have?

Thanks in advance…

17. reako45

reako45 Member

Let's see if I can remember these w/out looking @ my books; ask to handle the snakes. Check for bulging or sunken areas on the snakes body, patches of unshed skin, bruises. Let the snake slither through your hand. It should be active and not sluggish. A little attitude is not necessarily a bad thing. Check snake's body for mites, scale rot or smeared feces around the vent. Observe the snake in the tank, and watch for obsessive yawning of white mucus blotches in the mouth. Ask lots of questions. How old? Where from? When fed last? What is it eating? That's all I can remember for now. I know I'm forgetting something. Best advice is to get the book "General Care & Maintenance of Common Kingsnakes" by David Perlowin or "Kingsnakes & Milksnakes" by Bartlett & Markell. Research is Priceless! When I got my first king I read them religiously and still pull them out from time to time to answer questions that arise. Keep us posted about what you decide, and have fun w/ your snake.

reako45

18. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

Also check if he's flicking his toungue. Just to make sure he's alert.

19. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

yes and try to get one that is not to flighty but not to sluggish. Something in the middle.

20. ayasha

ayasha New Member

Can you tell the temperment at all? I don't know much of what, if anytihng to look for.
    My Corns, have always been passive and my Black Pine was fairly defensive (tail rattle,hiss and the odd strike) but settled down great.

So when looking at Corns, agressive behavour may mean something, but Pines at that age it is very common.

Will a Cali be aggressive at this age (thinking their late 05 stock)? Or would agression be a sign of anything?

21. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

There will probably be a little aggression at first but if it does not calm down soon after you have been holding it. If it is too calm it might be a sine of something bad. But at that age there will be some in a good healthy snake.

22. Krzr3000

Krzr3000 Embryo

I have had a cali king for the past nine years. I have only been bit a few times when it was younger.

Why do i like kings? IMO boas, pythons, and corns are just boring. Sure they are calm and handleable...but they just dont move enough! I want something that takes some work to handle.

...Must be the reason i dont appreciate fish

23. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

i've got a cali king and when i first got him he was bonkers but he tamed down real great I would recommend a king to anyone withj an interest

24. ajlauer1984

ajlauer1984 Embryo

my cali king, quite frequently gives the tail rattle, but no more, i love calis to death, their markings, colors, and temperment... i think they are the clutsyest snakes though... they are quite funny little guys...

25. joeking

joeking New Member

Readily available? They don't grow very big. They come in lots of different morphs they're easy to take care for (they're hardy) and their bites don't hurt much. I find that they have a friendlier look to them...my king looks very...friendly...dispite the fact he isn't! I would love to have a mexican black I think they're gorgious because the black has a sign of evil to it yet they look so cute. There's a 2 month old at one of the pet stores and he's so lively and cute I just want to cuddle him but he'd just freak out and rattle and strike me. Every baby king snake I've ever seen has been VERY flighty. You touch him he rattles and runs and hides and strikes and freaks out completely but they tame quite quickly. I guess if they're not handled at the pet store they wonder what the hell is going on