Kenyan or Rosy?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by gecko94, Nov 13, 2007.

1. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

Hi i've looked at kenyan and rosy boas and i really can't decide which one i like best. can you guys give me some pros and cons of both?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Rayn4est

Rayn4est Embryo

Kenyan pros: little, cute, tend not to be bitey or fussy eaters
    Kenyan cons: little, if you want to consider it a con
    Rosies pros: I have no idea
    Rosies cons: still nothing
    Rayn4est pros: cool nickname
    Rayn4est cons: not helpful at all really. :mrgreen:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

I have found Kenyans to be easier to locate locally and cheaper (at least the "normal" morph) than the few Rosy boas I've seen. I do believe there are more Rosy morphs than Kenyan but I can't say that with total confidence.

Otherwise I believe Rosy boas have a very good "attitude" much like the Kenyan.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. soxfantony

soxfantony Member

are they both the same size fully grown?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

I've never heard of either species getting more than 36 inches long, with 24 inches being the most common maximum length. That's for females, males usually run about 12 inches shorter.

Again, I've never owned a Rosy so I'm just speaking from what I recall reading.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. soxfantony

soxfantony Member

well does anyone know a website that sells and ships kenyans or sands? i found a reptile website that ships up to 6 things (animals included) for only 20 bucks, but they dont have kenyans or sands. its called reptilecity.com

12. TimW

TimW New Member

Hrmm I think I like the pattern and colors of the rosy more, but I think it is a personal taste thing.

13. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

Check the classified section on kingsnake.com. They have a Rosy, Sand, & Rubber Boa section.

14. soxfantony

soxfantony Member

thanks!

15. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

for my opinion i would like kenyan better..

16. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango Embryo

I had to make the same choice recently, and I picked the rosy. From what I've read they have a good disposition and I like the look of them more than the sand boas. I don't much like the fat bodies and blunt ends of the sb's, but that's just a personal taste. I believe the california coastal rosy boa can get bigger than the kenyan sb, and with both species the males are substantially smaller than the females. That being said, captive bred kenyan sand boas seem to be much easier to locate and obtain, especially in my area (western canada). I've pretty much accepted that it'll probably be months before I find the right snake for me. If you live in the western US, however, this would not be an issue. So personally, all things being equal, I'd go with a rosy.

17. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

hehe,, but thats big body and small head that makes me wanted that cute snake..
    ^^

18. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

hehe,, but thats big body and small head that makes me wanted that cute snake..
    ^^