Keeping silkworms alive and where to get roaches

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by kelly_anne, Aug 26, 2008.

1. kelly_anne

kelly_anne New Member

Hi everyone,

I have three leopard geckos and many eggs I am waiting to hatch.

I feed a varied diet of crickets, silkworms, mealworms, and the occasional butterworm. Unfortunately I do have one gecko that will refuse everything but crickets.

First of all, the main diet (60%) of my two breeders is silkworms. I have begun ordering them online 100 medium sized at a time because they are way too expensive at the petstore. Problem is, I am having a heck of a time keeping them alive and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have a large rubbermaid tub (2ft by 1 ft) which I put a wire rack in (with holds wide enough to let the poop go through). I feed them cubed mulberry diet once a day. I keep the rubbermaid container closed so the food doesn't dry out so fast, but there's no hint of condensation or excess humidity. I make sure I handle them as little as possible and I sanitize everythig in between batches with isopropyl alcohol and disinfect my hands before I feed them the food. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how they successfully keep silkworms?

Also, I am looking for roaches because I have only heard good things about them (besides the fact that they can climb glass.... yikes!). However, I live in Southern Ontario, Canada and cannot find a local or online source that has them. I don't like to order from the US because UPS charges astronomical amounts when the product comes over the border. Any tips on where I can get roaches in Canada?

Thanks for any help!
    Kelly