KBS odor

Discussion in 'Boas' started by LotteQ, Feb 21, 2009.

1. LotteQ

LotteQ Embryo

For the past week my 4 year old kenyan sand boa has been emitting a musky odor. It began as she/he (not sure of sex) was going through a shed. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? She/he is currently in calci-sand bedding in a carry case. Before I get yelled out Gracie is normally in a 10-gallon tank, but the carrier is easier to hide in a dorm room.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Iam not sure, but I would start with making sure that you keep the tank/carrycase clean as possibel just to cut down on smell.
    how is its behavior? normal?
    temps
    humidity
    ect.?

good think that musky odars can be normal for dorm rooms ^__^

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bruno

bruno Moderator

If it's in a carry case, whats the ventilation like?
    Keepig it clean will help and would advise to get rid of the cali-sand and use something more absorbant.
    If it's in your dorm how do you keep temps correct and humidity just like jeepnphreak said.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LotteQ

LotteQ Embryo

its definately not the cage, its always clean. Yesterday I was holding him/her and a white substance was emmitted from the rectum. I noticed that this was the source of the smell. Do boas musk? I didnt think they did. The ventilation is fine, no different than her normal tank at home. Unfortunately I dont have any heat or light, but my room is temperature controlled so during the day it is pretty warm and at night is t is cooler. Unfortunately the current conditions are not ideal, but she was fine last year and so far has been doing well this year. She hasnt eaten in the past 2 weeks, but that is normal for her this time of year (even when she was in her normal enclosure). Her behavior is normal for her-bipolar, sometimes a wild sometimes calm.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

how warm IS the dorm room? unless its very warm like 90-95F than the temps are too cold for the KSB. I would look in to getting heat tape or a UTH.
    The warm-end temperature can drop into the 80s to the high 70s at night as long as it reaches 90 during the day.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Agree with jeepnphreak, it's probably the temps.
    I would also have a fecal done next time she deposits the white stuff, could be parasites.

I dont mean to be nasty here but your snake is using it's survival instincts. You are aware the conditions are not good yet you still keep your snake in them. She survived last year then is subjected to it again this. S/he has had no time to recover fully.
    Please reconsider the conditions and try and rectify them a.s.a.p. otherwise you will have a very sick snake. If she develops RI, the cost of treatment could run into $$$$$ big time.

12. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

absoulty, agree with bruno.
    you can spend a few $ now and get envorimonet up to specs or the possibel VET bills later can be a lot more than a bit of heating.

13. LotteQ

LotteQ Embryo

thnakyou very much for the advice, I didnt even consider it could be lower temps than what she is used to....although I should have. My concern with the heat strips is that I am afraid they will melt the case, are there any brands out there than can be used with plastic? I am going to hamburg this weekend which will give me a good opportunity to pick up anything that I need. I also have a king snake here, but she is fine, should I find a heat source for her as well? I just want to make it known that I am aware that having my snakes here is not just for fun and rule breaking reasons, I have four other snakes and a spider at home that my mother is taking care of. Whatever I can keep here lessens the burden, but while they are here I want to do whatever I can to keep them healthy and comfortable (while still hiding them). Any other advice I can get would be amazing

14. bruno

bruno Moderator

I would suggest a heat mat big enough to stand at least 1/3rd of each case on it by that I mean have both cases on one mat. Also get a thermostat to control it, a simple on/off type will do, the sensor of stat should be placed on the mat itself, a digital thermometer with a probe would be a good idea as well, this probe should be inside one of the cases, above the mat, then adjust the stat accordingly to get good temps.
    There is very little or no risk of melting the plastic as the temp of mat wont be more than 90°F (32°C) when used with the thermostat.
    Both snakes will benefit greatly from having the proper temps and the KSB musk etc should disappear after a short while, if it doesn't then a vet trip is suggested just to have it checked out.
    I would also recommend you get rid of the cal-sand and use something like Aspen, the sand will block the heat from mat.

15. LotteQ

LotteQ Embryo

thankyou so much for your quick reply. When I go to hamburg I will pick up the mats (it will be easier for me to get 2) and everything else needed. I am also going to pick up a slightly larger carrier for her. That is very interesting about the sand blocking the heat, I never knew that. Will she be able to burrow correctly in the aspen, I never thought of using that for her

16. bruno

bruno Moderator

If it's easier with 2 mats then go ahead, each mat needs to cover about 1/3rd of floor. If you can afford 2 thermostats, so much the better. One thermometer could be used to check both on a regular basis.
    Just been digging round the net, you can use sand, but make sure probe of thermometer goes through the sand to floor of cage. There's a company in Germany...JBL.de. that supply a good sand for burrowing it's called...Terrasand....it's not as free running as cali. and tunnels are less likely to collapse. Cali-sand has a tendancy to clog up into lumps when wet/damp and may cause problems if ingested. Use the Terra sand for the KSB and may be the aspen for the other king snake. My king loves it.
    Dont forget, when you use a mat it will take a few days to heat sand up to correct temp.
    If you get this set up you will have 2 healthier and happy snakes. well done.

17. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Just keep an eye on the temps, if the temp of the substrate is getting up to 95F than place some small blocks under the tub to elevate them off of the heat mats just a bit. Another thing you can do is get a rheostat/light dimmer and hook the mat up to that if you need to lower the temperatures a bit.
    Your KSB sould really like the terrasand is good stuff,
    I have corn snake( quite similar to knigs) and aspen works well with them. My only concern with aspen is that it can be drying so if you king has a imcomplete shed you may need to adjust the tubs humidity.

18. LotteQ

LotteQ Embryo

I never heard of terrasand, but I will looks into it, maybe they will have it at the expo. My king is already on aspen (as well as my children's python) and they are doing fantastic on it. My corn is actually on carpet, recommended by our vet since she has had a history of respiratory problems. Thankyou all so much for the help, I cant wait to make lil Mina (king) and Gracie (ksb) happier.

19. bruno

bruno Moderator

Your welcome, glad to help, keep us posted how you get on.
    It's good the corn is on carpet as aspen can get a little dusty.
    Actually I changed from Aspen which is wood based to Flax or Hemp, these are vegegtable based and if ingested pass through easier. I believe it's not readily available other than the UK. It's actually horse bedding designed for use in stables, any water soaks to the bottom leaving the surface dry. It's also much cheaper than aspen, a huge bale costs around £7 ($10.50) and lasts me a full year.
    I'm checking out that Terrasand as well, would be good in my hognose viv, she likes to burrow.