kamono(i think its that)

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by rezon, Aug 14, 2004.

1. rezon

rezon New Member

i was just curious with a wilf life permit can u own a kamono dragon, sorry im not sure if thats wha its spelt

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. slimmy

slimmy Member

i don't believe so.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. herpslave

herpslave Member

Did you pos this or get this post idea from reptileforums or something? The same thigns going on there. I am not sure. but some zoos have them... i would not think many people would want a pet komodo. Don't those thigns got 1000000 percent fatal no cure saliva full of diseases, parasites, bacteria ect... Theres no cure.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. felstorm

felstorm Embryo

Check your local laws.

Komodo dragons, or water monitors are no joke. Most pro herpers don't have the large facilities to take care of monitors that big. Or the resources to feed one.

If you get bit by one, the bacteria in their mouth CAN be lethal. If it's not treated with high doses of powerful anti-biotics within the first 72 hours.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rezon

rezon New Member

by the way that was me who asked that question over there. . . and i dont want one as a pet im just askin cuz i know sumone who had some huge monitor and i think it was it but not sure

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

it is komodo dragon and when they are bred it captivity they do not have the poisonous bacteria living in there saliva. i highly doubt you could get a permit to own one though conisdering they are only found on two islands.

12. rezon

rezon New Member

man when i watch them things on tv there amazin but dangerous they like the charge. . . the would make a interting pet lol maybe even a garude dragon lmao

13. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

The komodo dragon is considered an endangered species so it is very very unlikely that it would be legal in any circumstance for them to be pets. They are also just too agressive, I'm not sure about the saliva things. Yes in the wild they have bio-hazardus saliva and it helps kill thier prey but as for captivity I don't know. Either way they are heavy droolers. Pretty lizards, but not pets.

14. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i hope to God that no one would EVER be allowed to keep a komodo dragon . . .

15. laxman

laxman New Member

you would have to have a huge tank as well because they get so big.. you might as well put it in your yard instead... and those komodo dragons are hella fast like 60km/h

16. rezon

rezon New Member

its a shame such amazin animals

17. Slizarus

Slizarus New Member

It's Komodo Dragon, Varanus Komodoensis the largest lizard currently alive, with the Crocodile monitor V.Salvador (right?) being the longest at 11'
    NO permit will allow a private keeper to keep a Komodo. Very few zoos are allowed to keep them, let alone attain a breeding pair. (Young are arboreal and live in the trees to avoid the Cannibal adults) The saliva harbors a deadly bacteria which breeds in the sores which are made by the lizard's own teeth and possibly bites from other komodos.
    A antibacterial medication is being developed.
    There are Keepers of Komodos, I have a friend who was offered a stolen komodo for 10k American.
    He lives in Sweden.
    --
    If this was a joke, please do not waste our time like this, keeping a V.Komodoensis is SERIOUS with the ability to bite and infect, sense from a mile away, run down at over 30 mph.. and Break your legs with its tail. It's not funny to ask about keeping a creature that can mutilate your corpse, and is extremely likely to do so.

18. Slizarus

Slizarus New Member

If it was large, it could likely have been.. Dumerils,Argus, Nile, Perentie
    (I believe you can keep them), Water monitor, Black/white throat.... any number of Varanids fit your description.. hell it could have been a Tegu.

19. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yes you can keep all of the monitors you listed there. i have a friend who used to have two nile monitors. he turned his basement into there room. i loved going over to see them.

20. rezon

rezon New Member

must of been a good site to see

21. herpslave

herpslave Member

I still love watching wildboyz with johnny Knoxville being dragged by I forgot what maybey a car maybey a horse... While he had a wild komodo chasing him. johnny had no choice except to be tied to the rope and laugh at the dragon trying to cach im in his all so powerful suit of plastic armor...

22. rezon

rezon New Member

lol yea that was funny

23. gexman

gexman Embryo

those are deadly. the saliva can kill u in a few days if it gets on you. And its spelled komodo. U dont want one believe me

24. gexman

gexman Embryo

they get 7 feet long.

25. camdalizardman18

camdalizardman18 New Member

jeeze, i bet i could keep one (space wise ONLY) i heve plenty of room at my house, like a barn(empty) but i would be no where near expirienced enough. you would have to have owned all of the different types of monitors at one point in taime with atleast 10 years expirience with all of them.

i agree with KLiK, they get the bacteria from the things they eat so being bred in captivity and you know what they are being fed, they would not have the lethal bacteria. the best way to even get komodo dragons small enough to do that would be to raid a nest and hatch the eggs yourself. that would be kind of cool though.