Kamau

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Karlee, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Karlee

Karlee Member

I just had a stroke of luck brush my way. As most of you should know, I have always loved snakes like family, and today, one joined my family. A quick story

I came to school, really depressed about losing my water dragons two weeks ago. My algebra teacher, Mr. Harris, eventually got me to tell him the reason why I was crying, and he made me an offer I couldnt refuse. Mr. Harris always knew I loved snakes, and he felt like he could do something that would cheer me up so he offered a kenyan sand boa from his newest litter. He only had one snake left, a runt male. I was so thrilled that I got an old twenty gallon aquarium in my garage (I used to own fish but I never got rid of the tank) and cleaned it out well (a good scrub and a weeks worth of soaking). I got some aspen shavings and a heat pad from Clair (you remember, my burmese breeder friend (btw, she gave it to me for free since she owed me when I watched all twenty of her snakes during Christmas while she was out in California with family)). I bought two sets of thermometers and hydrometers and set everything up. Correy gave me a heat lamp for $20 because the ambiant air temperature was off (I havent talked about Correy on here I dont think). After I got everything set up, I got the snake afterschool from Mr. Harris and was suprised I got an Anery from him for free. He said he was a pest to sell so it might as well be on the house. Clair also gave me some frozen pinkys since we kinda bet on stuff a lot and that just so happened to be in one of them. I quickly named him Kamau, a kenyan name meaning "silent warrior", perfect description of a snake. He is doing great and I would post a pic if I could, cameras dont like me! I never done anything to them, yet. Anyways, I know it wasnt the best choice but I just couldnt turn it done. Such a great animal and I really look forwards to living with him.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

wow! That's great! I've always liked Sand Boas too! :) Good you have all the supplies and all and that's cool your Algebra teacher would help you like that-and that he breeds snakes! Most people and my teachers just think it's odd to have snakes or reptiles, any exotic animals as pets I guess lol
    You should post pics of Kamau soon! Well, when you get a working camera I guess-I just saw how you said your camera doesn't like you o_O

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Karlee

Karlee Member

No electronic likes me... I dont understand them. Something is wrong with the battery compartment though, it wont stay closed enough to use the batteries. Thinking of replacing it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Karlee

Karlee Member

Finally got a good camera
    phpX8pQ7hPM.jpg
    phpIplypEPM.jpg

geckolover22 and lizardgurl87 like this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardgurl87

He's awesome! There was a story on Sand Boas in a Reptiles magazine that said morphs and all-and he's a morph. I swear I saw something about them in there or somewhere else I guess, but I only found Rosy Boa morph articles o_O
    Well, I found a website(http://www.sandboamorphs.blogspot.com/p/morph-guide.html) and it seems he would be a:Anerythristic simple recessive (Lacking Red or Orange Pigment often referred to as the 'Black and Whites')
    [​IMG]
    That's their pic of one and it looks pretty similar to yours! :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Karlee

Karlee Member

Thanks, and I knew what morph he was. I actually ran across it on that exact site.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  12. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Lol, that is actually a really awesome story, your teachers seems like a great guy, congrats on the sand boa :D

13. lizardgurl87

Okay, cool! :p I just realized he was a morph and wasn't sure if you knew, since I don't think you put it in the original post. It's always cool they have sites like that, where you can see all the morphs :)

14. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, when you have the fun teacher, things are pretty good.

I was reading their caresheets and ran across that thread. And I think I did, I said anery towards the end (I cant spell it right so I just say anery). And if I ever say something that may sound harsh, I dont mean it in a harsh tone. I would be texting my friends and they would be wondering why I was mad, and I just want to tell you, if I meant it in a harsh way I would post something that would make you know.

15. lizardgurl87

Okay, you can't really ever be sure the tone or anything online or especially in texting(which is why I don't text). So, it's all good! :p I must've not noticed if you put he was an anery, which would be the shortened name of that morph. But, I'm not even good on morphs, so if I did see it, I probably didn't know what it meant or overlooked it anyways-the only reason I put the full morph name is since I copied it from the website. :)

16. Karlee

Karlee Member

ITS SO HARD TO SPELL!!!:confused: