Just joined and saying Hi. I am a lizard lover.

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Astronomer, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Astronomer

Astronomer Embryo

:wink: I am new here, so will intro myself to you. I am in Iowa, and I have a few lizards.
    My lizards are....
    Rambo...a Spiny crevice. He is named Rambo because he is built like his namesake. Just finish a shed and is doing well. Loves my shoulder and comp keyboard. Is 6 inches long [not counting tail]
    Shrimpy....giant MHD. My favorite. He will come running to front of his home when he sees us. Wants out and on top of head. Is young and very sweet and tame.
    Romeo & Juliet....Emerald Swifts. Do nothing but stay buried in substrate and eat. Male & female.
    And that is my happy family. Well, there are 4 dogs, 2 cats and 1 hamster also.
    So HI to you all.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lacerta

lacerta Member

Welcome fellow lizard aficionado ! I currently have 4 bearded dragons and a leopard gecko. Hope to expand my collection this summer. Will be getting an Argentine B&W tegu, perhaps a Uromastyx, and probably a female leopard gecko for my lonely male. You mentioned you have some emerald swifts ? I am curious how long you have had them? You mention they hide alot, yet they are actively eating ? They are a beautiful montane species, especially the males during the breeding season. Do they acclimate well to captivity ? or do you suspect they'll ever feel comfortable enough to come out of hiding. If so, they would make a beautiful display animal. George

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Hello and Welcome! Glad to see some new faces around here! Sounds like you have a nice collection started there. I'm Angie and I'm in Ohio. I'm a biologist working at a college here (actually, my alma mater) and we have a collection of reptiles and amphibians. Most of them are in my signature but we have recently added some redhead agamas, one of which is ill (he has worms) so he's at my house getting babied. I personally have only one gecko, a Halmahera named Galen, and hopefully I'll be able to get him a mate and a larger enclosure soon.
    Glad to have you here, hope to talk to you more!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Astronomer

Astronomer Embryo

The Emerald Swifts

Afraid the Emeralds are too skitterish and hide too much. I started them in with sand, buried themselves and hid. Then changed to bark, buried themselves. I know they eat well, they don't leave any crickets or meal worms. If they are un-buried, and anyone goes near tank, they take off and hide. If my work hours ever settle down and I get more time, will work with them to see what happens. Most of the time, I have to search to make sure they are still there.

And thanks for the welcome.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lacerta

lacerta Member

Thanks for the feedback on those emeralds. I've admired them for some time, mostly pictures in books and I do see an occasional one for sale at the local pet monger and they appear to be in pitiful condition. I suspect that they are being Wild Caught and imported. It will probably take a while to get them acclimated to captivity. Let us know if the situation changes with them. I don't know how long you have had them, but sometimes it can take awhile for them to calm down. Thanks and, again, Welcome. George

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hey astronomer! welcome! i was actually looking into getting an emerald swift myself (but i think i've settled on a viper gecko) and most of the things i read on them said they hide alot and need deep substrate. i want an animal i can see, so i took them off my 'maybe' list. they certainly are beautiful, though, and amazing little herps! i'm glad they eat well - that's always important. :D

12. Astronomer

Astronomer Embryo

I think if you are looking for a really sweet, friendly eat out of your hand herp, Hummingbird, check out a Giant Mountain Horned Dragon. Acanthosaura crucigera. Although info sheet on them say most aggressive of species, they must mean towards other herps. Fantastic little critter. Mine, Shrimpy, sits on our shoulder, stays there while we walk around. He also takes food from our hand, very gently. The personality is tops. I have a young male, about 5 inches [minus tail length]. Will most definately get more of these herps.

13. Hummingbird

hey thanks for the tip! i'll look them up!

14. Astronomer

Astronomer Embryo

We have had Shrimpy for just 2 weeks, and he is great. When we first got him, we let him be, fed him good, and just watched. Within a few days, he was at front of tank, watching us. Tilting his little head and very curious. On day 4, we took him out. He climbed up arm to shoulder, and that is where he sits. Now when we come home, walk into herp room, Shrimpy comes right to front of tank and waits. One thing to remember, MHD do not like water that just sits. They like moving water [we put an air stone in water dish] He will get in it and move around. Hope you like what you find out about them.

15. Hummingbird

he sits on your shoulder!? does he know he's NOT a parrot!? :lol: