just got a new one

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by plainsnymph, Oct 31, 2004.

1. plainsnymph

plainsnymph Embryo

thanks for all the help. Shaka has gotten bigger and little one has gotten smaller. no it has put on some weight but looks very small compared to shaka. They sleep next to each other and climb all over one another. I have been feeding the two of them about a dozen pinheads about 5 times a week and a wee platter of 5 flavors of baby food dusted with calcuim, and a multi vit. They mostly eat the crix but will lick baby food off my fingers. I added a water dish and a sponge in the water dish to keep humidity up. I picked up turkey baby food last night and have yet to try it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Good Luck!

Remember, they may be reluctant to try the turkey so mix a little of it within their favorite fruit babyfood. I know even if you put it on his nose, Spike will still refuse it for a good while before finally licking it. I would maybe also seperate them if they are in the same enclosure. One could be stressing the other, which would cause one to grow faster while the other lags. Hope that helps some

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. plainsnymph

plainsnymph Embryo

hmmm until thyey are both bigger or adult or seperate forever? I do have a tiny house so I would prefer they stay together. And I can't just remove little one to feed him can I ?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Well you may not have a choice but to seperate them when they are older. If you happen to have two males you'll want to seperate them before they reach sexual maturity which I think is about 6-7 months of age. If not you may have territory problems on your hands. If you have a female and male you'll end up having babies if you keep them together. If they are both females you may be fine to have them together their whole lives but there's no guarantee.

As far as just removing the little one to eat I don't see why that would be a problem but one thing to consider is that if it is indeed intimidation that is causing the problem the one being intimidated will probably be under a good deal of stress which may cause other health problems down the road. If I'm not mistaken you indicated they are both eating. The fact one's not growing supports this statement if they are both eating well.

I would seriously consider seperating them if nothing else seems to work. Good luck with them!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Everything said is 99.9% correct. Just thought I'd but in to add one little thing. That .1% is the age they become sexually mature.

They become sexually mature between the ages of 4-7 months. Most usually around 5-7. But I would plan on seperation ASAP due to the age of yours, which I believe are at, if not approaching the 4 month old mark.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. plainsnymph

plainsnymph Embryo

i dont really know how old they are. I got them for a herp show, about oh a months ago or so. little one is about 3 inches and shaka about 4 maybe 4.5 I am just guessing from what i have read size wise. well they both eat, but shaka hunts the crickets, where as little one sometimes eats babyfood, i have never seen it hunt or even look at a cricket. meanwhile shaka is always on the hunt.

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Did you get them from the same breeder? I know some use only babyfood to save on money, and the crestie will not learn that a cricket is good or anything. I actually had a frined whos died from an incident with the breeder using only babyfood. It refused to eat inside the cage and he had to get it out to feed it, but he was always busy.

I would guess 1-2 months or so, maybe approaching 3. I still think seperartion is best but its not as urgent with them being younger as for babies and territory disputes. But I'm leaning toward the possibilty of the breeder feeding only babyfood, causing it to not eat crickets.

You'll have to offer crested gecko diet by T-Rex as well as babyfoods with protein in it, suh cas chicken or turkey. They may be reluctant to try the stuff but mix a little with their favorite fruit flavors of babyfood.

13. wideglide

Thanks for that info, Jeff! Chances are that .1% will show up again at some point so I'm glad you're here! What do you think, should plainsnymph seperate them?

I really think you probably need to seperate them and see if the little guy starts eating like shaka. There's just too many unknowns and if it's not an intimidation issue then it's probably some sort of illness. Either way I don't think they should be together from what I've heard so far.

14. wideglide

Yeah, what he said! LOL, I take too long to post my replies sometimes ;) !

15. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

LOL! Hey I do the same thing. Sometimes when the site is busy you try to write something then 2-3 more posts are added before yours! Especially the leo and BD forums

Hmmmm, here is what I would do. There are too many chances now that I think about it

Go out and buy a cricket keeper, something around the biggest size possible; I'm sure one of those could easily house the little 3 inch crestie. Use paper towel as substrate and buy a few silk plants and a small lid or something for a water dish. Try crickets in the smaller enclosure, so that she will be able to find them easier, and won't be intimidated by the other one. If still no success I would still keep them seperated, at least until you can sex them and tell if they are both female. Then just keep up with what I said in my last post about babyfood if she still wont eat the crickets.

Sorry for the constant change in decisions, but also answer my Q about the breeders that could be a big chunk of important info

16. plainsnymph

plainsnymph Embryo

ok first of all thanks for the advice. I have tried giving them turkey baby food to no avial even mixed with mango or guava baby food. They refuse to eat the trex diet no matter what it is mixed in either in or out of the cage. I bought shaka from a local dealer and little one from lllreptiles.I am going to write them a letter next and find out exactly what they fed. The only time little one eats is out of the cage off your finger. Today I will go and get a cricket keeper, but i think i am going to keep it super simple,paper towels and one hideand a water sorce.
    the problem now becomes where to secure such a thing. Currently their cage resides on a stand and has to be cargo strapped to the stand and closed with three staps to keep my hybrid cats out of it, damn cats are so smart they know how to open the cage even with a clip to keep it closed. they also have figured out it will open if they knock it over, so it has to be super secure. putting it up high will not work because they can jump up 5 feet verticle. maybe getting a slightly smaller cage and putting it in shakas cage would work?

17. wideglide

Put the cats in a cage :mrgreen: . Sorry, I'm totally joking, I like cats.

18. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

This could be a possible reason the geckos are not eating. They could be stressed by the cats. Have the cats actually knocked the cage over when the crestie(s) were in it?!? If so they could very well be traumatized.

Is there any way to keep the room blocked off or the door shut at all times to the room the geckos are in as not to be disturbed by the cats?

19. plainsnymph

plainsnymph Embryo

no the cat has not knocked over the cage, but at night once she did get the cage open, and fished around. Now it is properly secured and locked. So I bought a medium critter keeper and put paper towels a tube for hiding and a small capful of turkey mixed with mango diet spinkled iwth gargoyle diet ( crestie diet has less protien and rod said more protien=better) I taped paper to two sides and stuck it in the cornor of shakas cage that way little one cant see shaka has smaller area to find food and crickets but still gets missed and daily light ect

20. plainsnymph

plainsnymph Embryo

well I found little one dead today. it had actually ate two crickets and a bit of baby food was being a bit active, then yesterday kinda just hung out in one spot today i took the cage out to clean and add more legless crickets and little one was dead....

21. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

NO!!!

I'm sorry for your loss, I feel really bad we couldn't help more. Poor little one, shes in my thoughts. Make sure to completely clean the cage for the other so there is no possibility of a disease being spread.

22. plainsnymph

plainsnymph Embryo

little one was already in a seperate cage. but shakas cage just got cleaned out.I feel pretty bad.

23. koma

koma Embryo

Introducing my baby Smeagol...

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and wanted to show off my precious. B)

[​IMG]

My wife and I bought him last Sunday (12/12). We named him Smeagol.

24. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

Great markings......(unusual), so is his name.....what's it mean?