I've been lied to!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Virginia, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Virginia

Virginia New Member

So I bought what I thought a Desert Spiny tailed Iguana (ctenosaura similis) <--That was the name printed on the terrarium. So I come home did my research, thought it was the right lizard for me and bought him the next week from Petco (who'd kept him in a 5 gallon tank and feeding him cabbage).Then this morning I stumbled across the madagascar iguana, very similar looking to the spiny tail, but I'm noticing small differences that conclude I almost definitely have a madagascar iguana (Oplurus cyclurus). I'm kinda shocked and immeasurably pissed off. I feel really irresponsible too. I could've killed him. I've had him for about 6 months now and I need to relearn a lot of things, they live in totally different environments, eat differently, etc. That means a lot more money, which I'll definitely pay. But Petco is going to feel my wrath.

Has anything like this happened to you guys?
    Anyone have any more info on the madagascar iguana? I've been looking for info like crazy.
    Any tips for making Petco pay big?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there's nothing really that you can do to Petco. I'd definitely talk to the manager though. I've had something similar happen. A petstore near us (which we no longer use for other reasons) sold us what we knew to be a marbled salamander but they had it listed as a tiger. They had us sign forms that we had purchased a tiger sal because that's what they had inventoried and even though it was CB it was native to our area and therefore required documentation. Something similar happened with my Halmahera Gecko. They claimed it was a Banana Gecko but my friend and I figured they were probably wrong and she ended up finding out what it really was. They had also injured it at the store so I sent off a nasty email to the owner and was compensated for his treatment, thus the reason we no longer deal with them.
    So yeah, these things happen. They're unfortunate, but at least you found out before something went wrong. So you have any pics you could post so we might be alble to help make a definitive ID?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Yeah I went to the PetCo Website and found out that they do sell Madagascar iguanas and not spiny tailed, (although I have witnesses to the spiny tail lable) and I looked at the Madagascar iguana caresheet. They had a picture of the Oplurus cyclurus when it was providing info about the Chalarodon Madagascariensis (which they even spelled wrong!!!) So I e-mailed them to fix it. Then I went to Petco and spoke with the manager, she said she'd contact me on tuesday. If I (well moreso my iguana) dont get compensation then i'm going to the corporate office. I also informed my local Peta (grr) chapter. God knows how many people looked at the site.

But I've upped the humidity, changed substrates and gotten new food which he didn't hesitate to eat. So that's good. Here he is:
    [​IMG]
    and a Madagascar Iguana:
    [​IMG]

:D Now to heal...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kts

kts Embryo

onetime i got a emerald swift from a different place, but it really wasnt an emerald swift it was a fence lizard. i say you write a letter to petco because ive done that before for other things and they are really cool about it. i know people where petco has sent them cupons, along with apology letters and caresheets and all that good stuff. if you write them good enough, maybe youll get somethin good

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Yeah, If I don't compensation from them directly, then I'll phone the corporate office. I'd like an apology letter and such, but I'm not too interested in caresheets and coupons since their information is false and I never want to shop there again!!! But yeah the manager I spoke to was really really nice and said she'd see what she can do. Problem is, Both managers and all employees, save 2, who were all there when I bought my iguana, do not work there anymore. :?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Well, maybe you know why they don't work there anymore. LOL I wouldn't bother contacting PETA...worthless. If you really feel that there's a problem, contact the USDA. They cover all labs, zoos, and pet stores and have local offices. They'll check it out fast and without prejudice, and if they find something wrong will deal with it immediately. Just remember not to let them wait you out and keep stalling in hopes that you'll lose interest. If you really think they're doing something dangerous or that will possibly harm another animal, tell them you want action taken now.

12. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Thanks! I might do that. Our local PETA chapter is crazy.

13. Scolex

Scolex Embryo

It's too bad the Associates and Manager you spoke to no longer work there, it seems like they really cared that they made this mistake.

Also I'm happy for you that even though the care for the species you ended up with is in a higher price range you can still keep it healthy and happy. ^^

And by the way, how is the new addition to the family? Doing well, I hope!

14. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Thanks! He's doing great! I've seen such a drastic improvement in just the past 2 weeks!