Is my crestyie regurgitating?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by stina3246, Oct 28, 2004.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

:roll: How can I tell if my gecko is regurgitating or just has big poops? At first I just thought they were large poops without the white part but the other day I saw what looked like he was spitting out this substance. I couldn't tell if he'd accidently attacked it thinking it was a cricket or was actually hacking it up. I am finding one or two of these a day in his tank along with regular looking poops. He's active and eating great. He looks good. He actually eats about 3-4 crix a day + a teaspoon of peach babyfood. Am I feeding too much? He's about 4 months old and I thought maybe I'd given him a too large cricket so I've been real careful about the size but I'm still finding them. They are the same consistancy as poop, they don't smell and don't have cricket pieces in them. My adult female reguritated once but it was a lot slimier and you could tell that she'd thrown it up. This doesn't look anything like that but not quite like poops. I know I should bring him to a vet but I'll have to wait until payday since my beardie just cost me over $100. Until then...what do you think?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

well i duno about you guys but when my crestie poops it reaks! at 4months you should be feeding your gecko pinhead crickets considering how small the gecko still is. cresties know when they are full and will stop eating so i dont think that you are feeding it too much. i would take 1 of the vomit/poop like matter and take a very thin knife or a pin. push into it and if it is soft then it is poop if it is tough to push into then it is a regurgitated cricket

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Is the babyfood your serving room temperature? If your giving it cold it upsets the tummy, causing them to throw up. Too large of crickets could be a possibility. Try food items about 2/3 the space between the eyes or a wee bit smaller.

What substrate are you using? And what are your temps, humidity, etc.?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stina3246

stina3246 Member

The baby food is room temp. (I learned this from you a while ago. My females toungue was turning bright pink and you said it could be due to cold baby food so now I let it sit out for a little while.)
    My house is always between 70-75. They have no special lighting or anything. I'm using paper towels for substrate. As far as humidity. I don't have a hydrometer for him yet but I mist his enclosure 2x a day.
    The crix are smaller then the space between his eyes, I'll see if I can go smaller though. All my creatures eat "larger" small crix (Not pin heads but about 1/2 inch or smaller depending on who I'm feeding)
    I stuck a little pin into one and it was soft....AND....I found the white parts underneath. I'm thinking he jumped for a cricket...missed and grabbed that. His aim isn't so great yet.....yucky!! I clean his tank at least once a day but he does poop a lot. He WAS being fed only meal worms (and much too big) at the pet store. I think he's feeling better now so he's making up for lost time!
    You're right Klik...the poops are kinda stinky if you put your nose down there!!
    Thanks for both your help. I feel much better. I'll still take him for his check up ASAP.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I think everything will be ok, just keep doing what your doing. I think what you said might have happened. sorry about repeating the cold thing, I've said it several times and cant keep track of who i said it too.

I hope the poop doesnt smell horribly bad that it will knock you out when you walk into the room, it could be a sign of parasites. However it is stinky once you get closer, like head above the cage area. Blek