is it ok to keep a wild black racer?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by dogking, Mar 10, 2009.

1. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

i have recently found a young racer in my front lawn and wanted to keep it. i have a tank but i need to know what i need like substrate, food, hides,etc. please help this would be my first snake.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

I dont know what the tank/cage requirements are but they eat almost anything they can overpower, including rodent, frogs, lizards and even birds and eggs.
    They do not tolerate handling and will bite or flail about when handled. They grow to 5ft as adult and are very fast.
    Before you attempt to keep one check your County and City and local laws FIRST it may be Illegal to remove them from the wild or even keep them in the first place.
    If you want a snake then go with a CB corn or similar, that way there is less risk of parasites and other problems.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

ok thank you. i have always wanted a snake but my mom made me get a leopard gecko as my first herp then i got a beardie and now i have almost everything to get a snake(with the exception of my moms permission).

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    That's the hardest part and I can't offer any suggestions.
    Wild caught never survive well in captivity, so best avoided.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

I would not black racers are fast and agressive snakes that are prone to biting, I have caught them in the wild before and they are not a fun snake to handle.

they eat just about what ever they can. frogs, birds, rodents ect.

besides there is a possibility of intoducing parasites in to you current collection of reptiles.

if you want a snake I wouldd suggest letting that one go and get a snake that has been hatched in captivity.