Is it natural>

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Shuade, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Shuade

Shuade Embryo

My Mail Uro Marilyn is 9 years old. She was always passive, and let me hold her without problems. Recently I switched her diet to a food she goes CRAZY for. It is a compressed mixture from Nature Zone. I am happy she is so excited about this food, but now whenever I go into her cage to pick her up she thinks I am feeding her again and tries to eat my fingers. I know it is not just the scent as I wash my hands before. Another problem I wanted to discuss is Uro's peeing. Is it a defense mechanism, or does she pee on me just because? Also is this normal? Any feedback would be appreciated. :blink:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

what is the ingredients of that diet?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shuade

Shuade Embryo

It is like most other products, lots of ingredients. The main break down is crude-9% protein, 2% fat, 7% fiber, and 78% moisture. The local reptile breeder turned me on to it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I've just tried getting into the NatureZone website and it's not fully working, to try and get a full description of what you are using.
    The percentages you have given dont mean a great deal unless we know exactly what's in it.
    Judging buy the main page, it's looks like, it's more of a supplement rather than staple diet, and can contain added vitamins in the wrong proportions.
    These are no substitute for fresh food.
    My advice is to use fresh food such as Endives, Escarole, Dandelion leaves among a lot of other veg, which is far more suitable to a uro. There is no reason why you shouldn't sprinkle a little on the fresh food, occassionally.

With regards urinating, this is usually a sign of stress. If she sits in hand calmly and doesn't try to get away, this again may be a sign there is something wrong with it.
    Ok, you have had it since it was young, I presume, and this is the first time it has showed unusual behaviour.
    Every uro is different and behaves in different ways, obviously I have no idea how it's been in the past.
    Generally uro's do not take to being handled very well.
    If you can give a full run down of setup, we may be able to establish a cause.
    So if you can answer these questions fully.
    1) Size of tank
    2) What UV and other lighting/heating you have
    3) How long since the UV lamp was changed
    4) What are the temperatures...ambient air, cool and warm end and basking spot
    5) How are these temps being measured and with what.
    6) Other than going crazy for the new food and urinating, has there been any other change in behaviour.
    Please answer and we will try and find, or rule out, any reason for the changes you describe.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MimC

MimC Moderator

As bruno stated, the details of its care are extremely important. Its unusual that your uro has always been hand tamed as they generally are not that way.

I also agree with Bruno in the fact that although its fine to supplement the diet with prepared foods, there is no subsitute for fresh veggies, and the major component of the diet should always be fresh veggies.