Iguanas and Melatonin

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by DancingRT, May 23, 2012.

1. DancingRT

DancingRT New Member

I posted the beginning of the month about my sweet iguana going psycho. To make a long story short...she was spayed in February, and shortly after she began acting like a male iguana during breeding season. She is 4 years old and almost never showed any aggression. I decided to call the vet yesterday since she started to show aggression towards my parents now, and was afraid she was going to hurt herself by throwing herself head first at the door of her cage trying to bite me. The vet did some research and thinks it may be from too much testosterone and something with her adrenals glands giving off too much testosterone. She said to try giving Iggy 1mg of Melatonin at night for a week and see how it goes. Has anyone ever tried this or know how it will effect her?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. supernova

supernova Member

From what I understand is it blocks receptors to get them through the breeding season aggressions. Think of it as Prozac is to depression (a happy pill). It's not a hormonal thing but rather a mental compound to block the receptors in reptiles that cause aggression in mating season, Makes the brain think all is good with the hormone levels so they don't get all psycho and try to mate with anything that moves.
    It is a very common drug and/or ingredient in drugs for all species and even can be used for agricultural applications. I have actually seen this in a apatite stimulant for Reptiles.

1mg seems kinda high to me as the average human dosage is 3mg but I'm not a doctor. Maybe the high dosage is for a faster effect?

Let us know how it effects her, as long as you don't give it to her for more than a week at that dosage i can't see any harm in it. After all is is a natural compound.

I know it's a girl but if she is thinking with testosterone maybe drop a stuffed Kermit in with her to beat up on.

StikyPaws312 and Louie like this.