Iguana needs help

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by djm4731, Jan 18, 2004.

1. djm4731

djm4731 Embryo

my ig is almost 3 and 4' 3". She has been healthy all her life. She hasnt ate for 5 days and I think it's because winter has set in and she is to cold. I raised her like the pet store told me (first mistake). She isnt caged in but where she stays 95% of the time is under a heat lamp for day and a light for night. She has a heat rock (I now know they are bad).
    Her area is only about 80 degrees right now. Should I maybe get a space heater to warm up the area. How long can she go without eating. I did force alittle pedialyte mixed with water. Please help me thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

A couple of questions,
    How often does she normally eat? What do you feed her?
    Iguanas do this sometimes, especially in winter. Ours will go a few days without eating every once in a while. It's usually no big deal. Sometimes it's just them, someitmes it's the environment. How large of a space is she in? Does she seem active and are her eyes clear? Is she drinking on her own at all? If she's getting too cold at night, then that might be a problem. And even though you're trying to keep her warm, get rid of that heat rock. Those things are dangerous. And even though she's staying under a heat lamp, there could still be a draft through the area. I don't like using space heaters with free-roaming igs, just beacause they may knock them over climbing on them, and many are too open near the heating element. I would say that another ceramic heater and maybe a heating pad may help.
    I would check and make sure the temp is staying high enough through the night, it can drop some obviously, but just make sure it's not too cold, and add another heat source during the day in the area she stays in most. Plus, offer her some treats with her food. Our favorites are fruit baby food, berry yogurt, bananas, mango, daisy, carnation, or rose petals. Just put some on top of her food and she if she goes for it. If the temp is right and she doesn't eat within a couple of days, I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side, even if she is active. Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. djm4731

djm4731 Embryo

Thanks for the suggestions. I was feeding her kale, spinach, squash, zuchinni, berries, watermelon and cantelope. I have now swiitched to collard greens, dandelion, butternut squash, berries, etc. I plan to add some more of the appropriate stuff. She lives on top of her cage. 7'long. She uses the cage inside for her potty. I have regulated her heat, so that it stays about 95 in her basking area and 85 at night. She has picked up on her eating some.
    She still doesnt eat like she used to, but at least she is eating. Her eyes seems clear and she is getting her attitude back. I tried alittle berry yogurt and she licked alittle. I think we might be on the upswing. If not I'll post again. Thanks again!!! PS: I took your other suggestions too!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Dominick

Dominick Embryo

Hi djm4731-

You "switched" diet is very good. Stay away from foods with high oxlates. Not good for the Ig.

You didn't mention a UVB bulb in your posts. UVB exposure is essential for a healthy Iguanas digestion. Does the Iguana have UVB exposure?