IGUANA HAS FROTHY FOAM IN BACK OF THROAT

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by ilovemyiguana, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ilovemyiguana

ilovemyiguana Embryo

MY IGUANA HAS FOAM IN THE BACK OF HIS THROAT. I have a great vet, Dr Boyer, who does surgery for reptiles and amphibians for the San Diego Zoo. At first he was worried that I had gotton something in his lungs, but his breathing is fine, unless the froath is around his opening under his tongue. We have tried a course of anibiotics, but it did nothing.

He has never seen it before and is researching it for me. He tried antibiotics first, but these did not work for my iguana Babe. All bloodwork and tests are OK.

He doesn't eat much this time of year. I find if I warm his greens in microwave to wilt them and make them heavier and give him large chunks, it seems to push it thru. He suggested elevating his head to allow gravity to help food go down, give it 15 minutes.

He is 15, getting plenty of warmth, sunshine or UVB and UVA. He is still extremely active, lives in and outside freely and is going great in all other ways.

If anyone has had this problem PLEASE let me know what it is so I can help him.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ilovemyiguana

ilovemyiguana Embryo

Replying back to let you know what my vet found out about this issue. It is an esphagus nerve problem. He is having trouble swallowing, thus the salivia is not going down and getting stuck in his throat. It is from inadequate calcuim when he was young, I got Babe when he was 3 years old.

It can be corrected with medicine if caught early enough. Untreated is can result in paralysis of the limbs as well.

Another reason to make sure you suppliment with Calcuim, RepCal is good.

Will let you know how treatment goes.