Iguana Growth Rate???

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by MaximusIguanais, Oct 6, 2005.

1. MaximusIguanais

MaximusIguanais Embryo

I purchased my hatchling iguana in April of this year, he is currently about 3.5-4 inches snout to vent. Is that about what he should be at or is he behind in his growth? Also, he is is still very freaked out when I put my hand in his cage and when I hold him. Is this still normal behavior, I handle him regularly. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Growth rate depends on diet really. Has he grown much since you bought him? What has he been eating?
    That type of behavior is normal. He just needs to get used to you. I would only handle him for about ten minutes or so everyday. Also, covering the sides of the cage at night affords them a little comfort at night and allows them some private time to relax and destress. The more you are around him, the better, but forcing handling on him too much will stress him. Just give him time. He'll come around.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MaximusIguanais

MaximusIguanais Embryo

growth rate

He has been eating well, I have been feeding him good foods, various greens (dandelion,turnip,escarole,endive,collard, etc., and other fruits and vegtables like peppers and so on.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

How much does he eat at one time?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MaximusIguanais

MaximusIguanais Embryo

food

He eats about 3-4 various leaves in a day as well as whatever else I mix in, peppers,peas, fruit, etc.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. crazyman1378

crazyman1378 New Member

MaximusIguanais, I do hope that you are ready for a house mate unstead of a pet. because he will get very longand very big. My female is 4'9" and 10.5lbs . I had rescued her from an abuse owner that didnt know the right things to do and couldnt house her for her size. Im glad you are here asking questions and making sure of doing the right thing. but again you need to start makeing plans for the futur in advance and save money for the future because you will need a custom enclosure for him. or if you can free roam. just some advice.

12. MaximusIguanais

MaximusIguanais Embryo

Max

Crazyman, thankyou for your information, I am fully prepared to care for him when he gets big and am looking forward to it, the reason that I was asking about size is that my fiance has a bearded dragon that is growing much faster then my iguana, I wanted to make sure that that was normal and there wasnt a problem with Max.
    Thanks

13. crazyman1378

crazyman1378 New Member

iguanas grow at a slower rate compaird to a beardie. mine was a rescue so im not sure at exact rates but in the year half that ive had her and during recoupe she has gain wieght and grown some even being as big as she is. just be raedy for it and keep a wieght and growth chart

14. chicaleka

chicaleka Embryo

My izzy's growth

My iguana, izzy, grew a tiny less than 5 inches in one year. he is about 3 years old, and now 41 inches.

I feed him mustard greens, turnips, collards, zuchinni, sometimes pears, and anything else i find. About once or twice a week he gets ORGANIC vegies...he really like em. I also spray all the food with purified water.

Jason