Iguana enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Dee0510, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Dee0510

Dee0510 Embryo

I am planning out my iguana's (Saturn) enclosure. Currently she is 6 inches from STV so I'm not too rushed to do it. Also, I'm on a somewhat tight budget so I'm going to be buying everything little by little. What I was thinking is 8 ft in height (if my ceiling is that high, I haven't measured yet, if not then just as high as my ceiling is with room for the lights on top), 4 ft in depth and 6-8 ft wide (haven't settled on this yet although I'll probably have to lean towards the 6 ft end, my house isn't that big :/ ) I plan on using 2x4 plywood with 1 inch 2x4 boards as the frame. Part of the top plywood will be cut out and replaced with screen for ventilation and for the lights to sit on. Either two or one of the front bottom plywoods will open up as the door. The whole front of the enclosure will by plated with pexiglass making it into french window/doors. The bottom of the enclosure will be covered with tile for easy clean up.

My questions are:
    *What types of wood can I not use? I know I CAN NOT use pine wood.
    *Will plywood be able to actually hold an iguana if the framework is sturdy? Saturn is pretty timid, she/he doesn't headbutt her current enclosure nor does she whip her tail except on rare occasions.
    *In anyone's opinion, is the french window/door idea a dangerous idea for a lizard? After all, some people do make the whole enclosure out of it so I wouldn't think so. I just don't want to use screen because it doesn't hold in much heat or humidity.
    *would it possibly be better to have 2 of the bottom doors open? There would be a 2x4 separating them either way so keep that in mind.
    *If anyone has a plywood cage for any type of animal that needs humidity, can you please tell me how well does it keep the humidity level up?
    *If I place a small portable heater and humidifier in the bottom of the enclosure, could this be potentially dangerous even if I somehow find a way to screen it off this way I can keep Saturn's enclosure up to the correct heat and humidity instead of the whole room she/he's in?

As for what I'll be putting in it for decoration and perches, I have yet to decide, I'm not that far into my plans yet but I, more than likely, wouldn't be attaching perches to the plywood but, instead, make ramps possibly covered in carpet to provide for easier climbing. I'm also thinking about covering the walls with some vines and leaves and possibly putting some plants on the floor but I think he/she may knock the potted plants over?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Anything works except pressure treated wood and pine. I wouldn't use the decking material pressure treated wood because to treat the wood it's soaked in a crazy mix of chemicals including formaldehyde and if you put a basking spot on that I wouldn't want the out gassing to hurt my reptile.

Plywood walls would definitely hold your iguana :) Especially if you use 3/4" plywood. I would suggest getting the 4'x8' sheets and then using a frame work just like a house with 2"x4"s set 16" on center as the frame work. I would maybe even go so far as using a 2"x6" across the top if you're not going to have any supports in front (as the "door" frame) so it doesn't sag.

As far as humidity and plywood... you have to seal the plywood if you're going to have a lot of humidity in the tank at all times, I would venture to say that once being sealed it would probably hold the humidity even better...

Not sure about how comfortable I would feel with an electric heater in close proximity to a humidifier, let alone them being inside a tank... I would suggest using lights as heat and maybe flexwatt heat-tape on the bottom with a dimmer so you can adjust. And then maybe getting an automated misting system.