Iguana cough??

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by chipper0117, Nov 18, 2004.

1. chipper0117

chipper0117 Embryo

I rescued an ig from a shelter here, she had really bad MBD and now is full of kinks. She is all better now, but I've noticed she seems to sneeze or cough quite a bit. The glass on the cage needs to be wiped every few days because it gets so covered from her sneezing on it. Is this normal for iguanas?? thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound that normal. I'm guessing it might have a respiratory infection, but you're going to have to take it to the vet's to make sure, and get medication for it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Although it could be a respiratory infection, iguanas do "sneeze" quite a bit. Their kidneys are not very well suited to remove the salts from their diets so they have a rhinal (nose) salt gland where the salts pool until the gland is full and then they "sneeze" the fluid out. Similar to marine iguanas, in order to remove the salts from their system (specifically sodium, potassium, bicarbonate, and chloride). This sneezing leaves residue on cages walls and glass that look white when it dries. It can be hard to wash off, just like saltwater residue on a fish tank. If she's had MBD then she possibly could have renal impairments. This could cause an increase in the amount of salts being produced.
    But, as always, if you're concerned about anything involving your animal's health, check with a vet to be certain.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yup, that's true, thanks for adding that Biochic, but I guess it's a question of how often "quite a bit" is. Like you said the fact that she has MBD could mean she possibly has other problems which would be causing her to expel more salts from her system than normal (it also often leaves the hard whitish residue around their nostrils are you seeing anything like this?).

Either way, yup, a vet check would be a good idea. Any rescued animal should see a vet as soon as possible. Even if you've recognized and are treating some of the visible symptoms, there could be many invisible symptoms that would only show up on a fecal, x-ray or ultrasound, so it's wise to go see one.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. chipper0117

chipper0117 Embryo

Thanks for those thoughts.

I have quite a problem here, I actually work at a vet college, with no herp experts. It is quite rediculous how little many of them know regarding reptiles. The only decent herp vet is 45 min. away, and he recently advised me I do NOT need a UV-B light bulb if I supplement her diet with ReptoCal. That clearly says he is not all too familiar with ig health as well, so I really do not want to make the drive and pay up the fat bill for him to give me more false directions.

I'll try to read up on this, luckily we do have a great library at the college full of all the most up-to-date info regarding ig health.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

ugh, a vet that advises AGAINST UVB for Iguanas? You did explain to the vet that this animal already has severe MBD due to lack of UVB previously right? :)

You might want to check out www.herpvetconnection.com in case there's another vet in your area that you might not have noticed before.

Even if there's no other vet's in your area, they might be able to help you and offer some advice through E-Mail.

12. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I got a great book recently...."The Green Iguana: the Ultimate Owner's Manual" Second Edition by James W. Hatfield III. Great reference manual. Has everything you'd need. But never go with just one source. I always check others and see where they get their info from.