iggy snout

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by mohik4n22, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

just how strong is an iggys snout? my girl for some strange reason has a tendency occasionaly (like today) to run into the ends of her tank and tries to jump and knock the lids off. henceforth giveing here a bloody snout not too bad i think as it is where a scab seems to have formed when she burnt her nose 5 weeks or so ago., but im a little wary of why she is acting so strange. she has been in sunlight Twice now when a bit more aggressive., could this be part of it you think/. normally shes extremely placid that my 18mth old will touch her etc. pictures at www.mohikan22.co.uk/ click iggy pix 2 for close up ty

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Iguanas will become more active as they get warm. But it sounds like her cage may not be tall enough for her. Does she have enough climbing space. If she can jump from the bottom of the cage and hit the lid, then I'm guessing that there isn't enough height to the cage. How did she burn her nose? It looks really bad and will definitely scar. Do you have any pics of her cage? It seems like she has too easy an access to a heating device and not enough climbing space.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

her tank isnt tall enough i know. it is 5foot long 2 foot wide 2 ffot tall. hence why she is out most days (www.mohikan22.co.uk/window1.jpg) and www.mohikan22.co.uk/window2.htm. her nose was burnt the day we got her. we put on her heat lamp as she was cold and went to buy her heat lamp cage (in place same day). unfortunatley too l8. she knocked the bulb out so luckily only one burn but a lesson learnt. she has 2 bulbs in there both caged. and her uvb bulb is outside the tank down the back of the glass (not sure if thats beneficial) but i thought that was safer rather than her break it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

If the UV light is going through glass, then it is mostly being filtered out. So no, unfortunately it's not very beneficial. She really needs a taller cage as soon as possible. With enough room to move around and climb, her muscles will weaken as she ages and she will forever be rubbing her nose against the glass/screening and will always have some type of injury on her nose. And with both lamps being inside the cage, protected or not, its still too close and may be too warm. Are you monitoring the temps under the lights? Just want to make sure it's not too warm.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

yes temps sit at 73 cool end and 86 heat end with a heat mat under the glas for her hot spot

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

Cool. But I'd definitely look into getting a taller cage soon. That'll help her settle down and keep her from pacing or trying to get out as much.

12. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

asap ill have one built 6ft tall 3 depth 3-4 wide should be big enough me thinks for a while anyhows :)

13. IguanaDonna

IguanaDonna Embryo

Considering I don't want to re-post a topic already discussed, I figured I'd throw my question in here. I have a large enclosure for Reese my 4 1/2 year old female ig. It's dimensions are approx 4' wide 5' tall, and 3' feet deep. Reese was a runt and her snout to vent length is 1 1/2' , tis considered I believe her enclosure is large enough (however I could very well be wrong). My question is Reese keeps rubbing her nose against the glass, and digging at the bottom her nose is now scabbed, and I took her to the vet yesterday for her annual exam, and the vet gave me an antibiotic for her lip and snout. I have been keeping the tempuratures ideal, and feeding her the Melissa Kaplan ig salad. However I can't get her to stop digging and banging her nose into the glass. I've been letting her roam (supervised) alot more thinking she wanted alittle freedom, and even so she just starts back at it when I put her back in. What should I do?

14. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

i have the same problem here. although she is out most of the time when in tank she will rub nose. ideas would be appreciated

15. biochic

Digging and rubbing behavior is very common in a lot of animals that are held in captivity. It comes from several things: wanting to escape, boredom, and stress. Sore noses are a common problem and are generally considered to be the result of small or inappropriate enclosures. It sounds like the enclosure size may not be the problem although a larger cage is always recommended because of thier desire to climb around and "inspect" their surroundings. You could try some enrichment tools to help keep her mind active and maybe relieve her desire to dig and rub as much.
    Here are a few you can try:
    Apple Feeder: An apple is stuck on an upside-down, T-shaped dowel. Small holes are punched throughout the apple and the holes of various depths filled with small food items.
    Hanging Ice Block: Food items frozen in a container with a piece of rope for hanging. Animal can manipulate it to get to the food.
    Browse: Hide greens and fruits throughout the cage (up off of substrate to prevent ingestion; place on small pieces of butcher paper to keep clean)
    Feeding Tree: Browse items are wired together to form a tree; be careful with the wire ends, try plastic coated; wire it around current climbing branches
    Change environment: Do some redesign on the cage and add more climbing space.
    You can get some more ideas like this from the Fort Worth Zoo Enrichment Online website: http://www.enrichmentonline.org/browse/index.asp

Just remember that whatever you try, make sure it's secure, clean, and safe for your lizards.

16. IguanaDonna

IguanaDonna Embryo

Thanks!

Thanks Biochic! I have done some "remodeling" to Reese's tank and she seems to be enjoying it, I also turned her hide box to face the back, for added privacy. She had her anual exam and they prescribed an antibiotic for her snout to prevent mouth rot, and they also are de-worming her. I do have a couple other questions though, I noticed a kink in her tail, that the vet said could be a small fracture, I think she got it jumping and falling all over her tank. However the vet recomended I really make sure her calcium is up, and I have used Nekton Rep in the past with great results. Do you know where I can order this cheap? And do you recomend it? I also know that in order for her to absord the calcium she needs to create vitamin d from supplemental light, I have one long full spectrum light, do you think I should add another? Lastly I have been letting her do more browsing of the house but her favorite spot seems to be on top of her tank where no one can see her, and once she gets up there she goes to sleep, is this normal behavior? Reese and I both say Thanks a Million!

17. biochic

Iguanas like to be up high and generally unseen. This makes them feel more secure because they are away from "predators" and able to see around them from a safe distance. All natural behavior for arboreal lizards.
    If the bulb is only full spectrum, you really should get a ReptiSun 5.0 that has UVA and UVB. That's the type of full-spectrum lighting you need. A general "full spectrum" only has UVA and very little of that.
    There are a variety of calcium/D3 supplements out there. I've used ReptiVite, Fluker's, and a couple of others. As long as they are one of the bigger name brands then they're usually the same. I can't vouch for all of them, especially the smaller companies, they may be fine but I haven't used them and don't know anyone that does...sooo...it's your call. Compare labels.