Ideas for DIY Cage

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by froggeegurl, May 7, 2005.

1. froggeegurl

froggeegurl New Member

Hey guys, I am thinking about building my own cage for the bearded dragon I'm thinking about getting. I want to make it 4'X2'X2' and was thinking about using plexiglas for the sides and using aquarium sealent to seal them together. I've never made anything like this before and was wondering what else I would need and if what I'm thinking about is even a good idea. What have you used for the frame? Is wood the only option? I've seen pictures of DIY cages but the one's I've seen are made of wood and since I will be using a UTH I'm a little leary of using wood. Also, is there anyway to make the floor just slate tile instead of using a piece of plexiglas as the bottom and putting slate on top of it? Basically, I'd just love to hear what you guys have done for your DIY tanks and if you have pics that would be great too.

Thanks,
    Froggeegurl

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. GreenGod

GreenGod Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My cage i just finished ^^ Rock bottom, with hard sand keeping it in place, custom rock wall.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. adam2373

adam2373 Member

plexi-glas is not advisable as it scratches easily. also use above heat, an uth is pointless for a dragon. you would be better making a wood cage and use glass for the front with slider tracks.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. GreenGod

GreenGod Member

the above is plexiglass, and i have no problems you can buff it out, plus its cheaper, but wood is the way to go tbh.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MiscE-FL

MiscE-FL New Member

GreenGod, I'm curious about how you did the rock wall. I just made a hide/basking rock for my bearded dragon. Although I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I will probably do another just to compare.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. GreenGod

GreenGod Member

i took styrofoam sheets, then burned them woth a torch just a bit, like ran it across them to give them the indented look, then i hot glued them to the wood, i then covered them with foam in a can, then i let it dry for 3 days, then i covered that with plaster, done it by hand, to give it the look it has, then i let it dry for 2 days, then painted, which dryed over night then sealed it with spray on acrylic, let it air out for 2 days, and waaaaalllaaa! custom rock wall :D