I want to know what to do if my iguana becomes egg bound

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by honey3, Jul 23, 2004.

1. honey3

honey3 Embryo

My iguana isn't egg bound yet but...... i need to know what to do if she does. because i have heard of some female iguanas dying because of it. And i am extremely worried about it because i don't want to lose her. it would be a great loss if i did. :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

if she does you need to bring her to a vet a they take an xray to see if she is. if it isnt too serious they give her some medication but if it is serious it is a pricey surgery

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cd

cd Member

I feel about iguanas they same way I feel about cats and dogs, I think that the ones that are pets or companions should be fixed. Unfortunatley, it can be a very pricey surgery, as someone mentioned, (50,000 dollars where I live.) Its a shame that they don't have spay and nueter clinics for other types of animals.
    But I guess, just make sure she gets plenty of calcium, sunlight, good varieties of food, don't house her near or with a male, and hope for the best. But it can still happen. I did everything with mine as by-the-book as I could, and she still got egg bound. It was very sad.
    But you might look into what getting her fixed might cost before its a problem, its got to be cheaper. You might be entertaining thoughts of one day breeding your iguana, but the world needs more orphaned igunas like it needs more stray cats running around.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. honey3

honey3 Embryo

thanks they were all very good explainations. I think i will just get her fixed so i don't have to worry so much! The stress is about to eat a hole in my belly! i didn't think i could get her fixed! If i knew that she would aready be fixed! But can she still get egg bound even if she is fixed?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. honey3

honey3 Embryo

When can she get egg bound? So that i can Know if it isn't too late. Because if it is i will get her lating spot and all the things she needs for the event.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

if she is fixed she will not produce eggs and therefore won't be eggbound. i believe they reach sexual maturity around 1 or 1.5 years of age

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

The single biggest cause of egg-binding in female iguanas is lack of space & exercise. They don't have enough room to exercise and can't build up their muscles. This is why adults need huge enclosures (our two adult girls live in 10'x5'x7' and 10'x8'x6' enclosures).

If your girl does become eggbound, get to a vet ASAP.

13. honey3

honey3 Embryo

Thanks. You guys are a great help with questions :) ! I didn't think forums would give me any answers. I usually went to iguana websites which let me nowhere.Thank you for you advise!