I want advise to put a female with a male together!!!!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Louis, May 8, 2004.

1. Louis

Louis Embryo

I have a 19 months old female iguana and yesterday I went to a pet shop and I saw a 15 months old male iguana. The pet`s shop owner doesn`t know anything for iguanas and he leave him without uv lights and without heating. I didn`t want to leave this iguana with this `sick` pet shop owner and i bought him! I have a 170cmx80cmx150cm enclosure that is enought for both. There is any tips to leave them without any problem??????? I want advise!!!!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. zendogg

zendogg Embryo

Male Iguanas are territorial. They tolerate females coming and going in their territories,and even try to encourage them to stay. The new male may get along with the female just fine most of the time.Your female, however, will view the introduction of this strange male as an interloper. How she reacts depends on her personality.

If she seems to accept him in her space you won't see any obvious hostility from her unless he gets too close. Depending on his personality they may coexist in apparent harmony until breeding season or some other competitive situation comes up.

His presence now is stressful for her regardless of how it looks. The change for him is stressful too regardless of how it looks. As he begins to feel better from the improved nutrition, greater space, appropriate lighting etc, more of his true personality will come out. He may begin to bully the female, he may not. Come breeding season he will be very interested in breeding her. He may harrass her for the entire season. This will result in some physical and psychological harm to the female, even though it might look otherwise.

Enclosed in the cage she can't get away from him. Imagine if it was you, everything is going fine, you have a routine, you feel secure even though you are captive. Then without warning, a strange man moves into your apartment with you. You have to deal with his personality which could be nice and easy going, or overbearing and mean spirited. Eventually he begins to get sexually interested in you and harrasses you for sex. Even trying to force himself on you. He may do this more than once. What would happen to your sense of security?

What makes the wild situation different is that the females can get away, and the males are occupied much of the time in defending their territories. Your compassion for this male iguana should not become an abandonment of your females best interest.

I don't recommend that people allow captive iguanas to breed. There is no guarantee that you will find homes for them should the whole effort prove successful, she lays viable eggs and they hatch.

The added stress to the female in dealing with an amorous male, plus the stress on her body, should she become gravid, is significant. Her nutrition and exercise needs become so much more demanding and critical when gravid to enable her body to support the eggs and itself.

Are you sure you want to gamble with the potential risks? I think that the best answer that is in the best interests of both iguanas is to house them separately. I can't recommend that you house them together so I can't offer suggestions on how to accomplish that.

Iguanas need space. If you have that to offer, give some to the new iguana, but give him his own territory.

I have rescued some reptiles myself, mostly iguanas, and will probably do it again. But I came to know my limits. I had to accept a hard truth. I can't let my compassion exceed my ability to provide quality care for the animals I assume responsibilty for. And I am commited to the ones I already have.

Perhaps another member has a different opinion than mine and can offer you some options. Even so, my position has validity however you choose.

I wish for you that everything works and the two iguanas remain healthy, thrive, and live long. I hope I was able to offer you some usable information.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cd

cd Member

I completely agree with all of this. I am not an expert by any means, but all of this sounds like everything I've always read about them. I hope that you will post an update on your decesion, and how things are going.
    -Cristine

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Louis

Louis Embryo

Everything is ok!!!!!!!! I have them for than a week and is everything ok! they eat together they sleep together! If I see something wrong I have another enlosure to put the male!
    Thank you very much for your information!!!!!!!!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. cd

cd Member

I'm glad everything is going so smoothly!
    -Cristine

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. zendogg

zendogg Embryo

I am very pleased also. Thank you very much for the update.