I think my corn has mites

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by eunice, Oct 10, 2004.

1. eunice

eunice Embryo

I purchased a corn today and later that day when I got it home I noticed that it had some black dots on the underside of its mouth and around its eye. According to the provided care sheets on this site they are mites. How do I get rid of them? What are they from? Are they completely curable? Do I need to go exchange the snake? it has beautful color very active and seemingly healthy. I have read several post on here but never saw anything about how to get rid and prevent them from coming back. Any advice would be awesome!!

Thanks!
    Eunice

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Lexxicos

Lexxicos New Member

Go to a vet. It sounds like crummy advice but do it. Most pet stores don't have the necessary knowledge. If you got him from a breeder, I'd say contact him/her after going to the vet.

Yes, they are completely curable.

Even if you got him from a pet shop, I would go back and exchange for a different snake and pay the difference. You should not have been sold a snake such as that. Don't get any other snakes from the same tank, and thoroughly inspect any other ones you look at.

However, you may find the prospect of going to a vet better than getting a new snake, in which case just do it. Yes, it'll cost some cash, but if you're serious about caring for the snake you'll be willing. Generally the treatment just involves some meds, or so I'm told.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. susyq

susyq Member

i totally agree go to a herp vet

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. eunice

eunice Embryo

what should i do about my other animals in the room? Should I start checking them or clean thier tanks the snake was only at my hom overnight and it was in an empty tank