I need help quick, please

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Dylacat, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

I'm going this evening to look at an 8yo female iguana. I need to know what to look for in a healthy iguana. The woman has had her since she was 6mo, and says that "there has never been a problem", and that she needs to give her up because she is having a baby soon (already w/2 other infants) and needs to make room. I am going to look at her tonight (around 7pm), and was hoping to get a few pointers...do I generally look for the same things that I did when I adopted my beardie?

Thx in advance,
    Rebecca

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

what to look for... i would say nice green coloring, all toes are in tact, tail and limbs dont look swollen or slightly crooked, upper and lower jaw are the same length, if she is 8years old she should be around 5'long, all her spikes seem to be in place, and thats about all i can think of. biochic and hummingbird should be able to contribute some more info

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Thanks Klik. She did say that she is missing one of her toes...says that she was that way when she got her. Also, the woman says that she is only 3.5 feet long...I remember reading that a female is usually smaller than the males, but should she be larger? Also, she will be giving me her enclosure if I decide to take her. The enclosure measures: 5x3x5. Is that big enough? I always thought that they needed larger enclosures than that.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yea that enclosure is right. but females usually get 4-5' sometimes bigger so she is in good range but she should still be a little bigger. do you have a pic of her? the only thing that could really be the reason for her size being small is lack of UVB and calcium which isnt hard to fix

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Well, that's good that the enclosure is the right size, and no...I don't have any pics. I saw the add in the paper, and won't be seeing her till tonight. So are you saying that if the calcium/UVB is the problem, that she could actually grow another foot at her age? I had figured that she wouldn't grow anymore...no matter what I did.

Thanks again, Klik.
    Rebecca

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

not another foot maybe up till she is 4' as long as she is in the 4' range that enclosure is fine. how tame is she right now? or did it not say? anyway i wish you luck and hope everything goes fine

12. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i agree with klik - a 4' ig would be okay in a 5x3x5 enclosure. i always prefer larger, though, plus i doubt the ig will stay 4'. dyla - please check out anapsid.com

13. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Klik~ Thanks again. Leah (the owner) says that her iguana is one of the most tame that she's ever seen. When I saw the add in the paper, she actually advertised it as the perfect pet for an older child. I guess I qualify. :wink:

Cynthia~Thanks for the link to your site. I read it over a cpl of times, and will keep it in mind when I go. Bob just shook his head when he came home to my news. He just doesn't understand me. Then he commented on how I probably won't have to go to the reptile show in October, if I decide to get her...oh, the evil eye he got. :)

I'll let y'all know what I find out when I get back.
    Wish me luck,
    Rebecca

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

hey dyla you know that when you get the ig you have to take pics of her and her enclosure for us right? lol

15. Hummingbird

you're very welcome! and YES of course you must take pictures, dyla!

16. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

ha nice avatar hummingbird

17. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Pics? Of course. Just like any good mom, I'll definately have some.

The meeting went well. The iguana looks pretty good, except for some dryness on her spikes, which I am hoping is due to her shedding. I'll be picking her up this weekend...after I get my hands on a pick-up truck. The good news, is that after speaking to Leah for a while, she decided to give me the iguana, cage, and accessories at no charge. She felt that it was more important for the iguana to have a good home. At the time, I was really excited, but now...I'm beginning to wonder just how poor I must look. :? And it looks as if the iguana and I were meant to be. After they set her on the floor, she came over to me, and started to climb up...I then continued to hold her for about 10 minutes. I was amazed, and I wanted so badly to bring her home tonight.

Well, thanks for all of your help, Klik and Cynthia. I'll post some pics come Sunday.

Take care,
    Rebecca

18. Hummingbird

wow, free? and she sounds really docile - great find and good luck!

19. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

dyla you have awsome luck i need to be around you when i go to reptile shows and maybe people will just give me tons of tanks for $120 and herps for free :)

20. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Klik~ Do you wanna meet-up in New Hampshire in 6 weeks? :wink:

Rebecca

21. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

ahhh if only i could lol i am honestly not sure maybe i can i have to see what i am doing. how about you come down to white plains new york for the show this sunday?

22. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

:shock: And leave my iguana? :shock:

Unless, I wrap her up in a blanket, and pretend that she's my baby...do you think that I could get away with that?

Rebecca

23. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i bet you could. she would be a very quite baby lol

24. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Yeah, until she flicks her tongue...I think that the gig would be up then. :D

Rebecca