i hate humidity

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Shanna66, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i really do hate dealing with it. i can never seem to keep my cresty's tank humid for very long before i have to spray it again. i like him being in a tank because i enjoy watching him and he seems to really enjoy watching me and my rats so i dont want to move him into a plastic bin

does anyone have any tips for keeping the humidity up in a tank with a screen top? i have an exoterra but he is still too small to go in there so he is in a normal 10gal at the moment

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I have a full screen tank that my crestie lives in so I have a large tupperware at the bottom with ecoearth with a lot of moss on top of it and I spray that every night. Cresties don't need it humid all the time... just bumped up to 80-90ish percent once or twice a day.... a "dry" time is a good thing... hinders mold from growing.
    If you really feel like there is a humidity problem you could always just cover 1/2 of the screen with saran wrap or a piece of plastic... obviously not all of it, but some of it being covered would help to hold in the humidity, although then you might have problems with temperature...

Just out of curiosity, do you have a temp/%RH meter for the tank? I just bought an awesome cheap one off of pangeareptile.com .... I found the digital ones work better than the dial ones b/c you can get one that holds max and min temps/humidity so you can check out what happened when you were at work and what not :p

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

i need to get a new hydrometer, my last one had an unfortunate accident

and ill try covoring some of the top. i know a little bit of dryiness is good for them but it feels dry just an hour or so after i pray the tank. plus my little guy has gotten some stuck shed twice ina row. i made him a humid hide but he hardly ever uses it

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh yeah I forgot to add that I have a humid hide in both my crestie and chahoua tanks.... I haven't seen them use it yet but who knows what they do when I'm asleep, lol.

Don't you just love those "unfortunate accidents" ... like when I bought 2 brand new digital hydrometer/thermometers and one took a nice little fall right into the water bowl I was putting back into my leo tank? Love it... ugh lol

You could also just think about misting heavily twice a day when he's shedding and only once a day when he's not...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

What a bout a fogger?? I'm thinking of getting one that I can put on a timer to come on a couple of times a day. Plus, I'm hoping on putting plants in my vivarium so it will serve the dual purpose of keeping it humid and watering the plants.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. xjulezxo

xjulezxo New Member

Just like stickypaws had said, I keep my cresty in a small exo-terra with a humid hide spot that has some moss in it. I also put a clump of moss outside of the hide where my cresty likes to hide under. I keep the top mesh covered with a piece of plexiglass to help keep some of the humidity in. If you have trouble with the humidity and notice his little feet getting dry or he's not shedding well you can stick him in a small deli cup that has a moist paper towel at the bottom so he can just get a good soak for a while.

12. Shanna66

i moved him to a bin a bit ago until he is big enough to go in my big exo terra

im saving up for another exo terra for my girl too since right now she is in a 10gal with towels on top of it. not very pretty for an animal i want to show off