I had a cricket escape on me in my house.

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by rayf01, Oct 5, 2006.

1. rayf01

rayf01 New Member

Is it going multiply on me or anything? I know nothing of crickets. Just wondering what to do/expect?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

it will most likely crawl into your air vents where it will grow to over 6 feet in length and roughly 173 pounds. It will also develop strong mandibles capable of piercing flesh and crushing bone. At this point it will begin stalking you and your family and you will have to track it's movements with a motion sensor. The best weapon to use against it is probably the flame thrower which has a limited range but can easily burn through the insects tough exoskeleton. hope that helps!

Jk, it will probably chirp for a week or so, then die in a corner somewhere. nothing to worry about.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rayf01

rayf01 New Member

hah, I was expecting someone to answer like that :D

thanks.

good night.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

LOL

It is going to find a very annoyng place to hide, somewhere where you can hear it chirp, but that you can never ever find it. I have one right now SOMEWHERE in my basement. I hear it all night, but when I go searching for it with my can of Raid, I can never locate it. Very annoying, but otherwise harmless.

Unless of course it is of the giant variety that drpainphd mentioned, in that case, ya, the flame thrower is the way to go.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Just one? HAHAHAHAHAHA.... I could feed my 6 Leos for a month with all of the crickets that have escaped on me.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. reptayls

reptayls Embryo

Re: RE: I had a cricket escape on me in my house.

That is why we love roaches so much - eh Sammy?
    LOL

~Morgana

12. martinmiddleton10

martinmiddleton10 New Member

RE: Re: RE: I had a cricket escape on me in my house.

The best bet would be to buy some cricket traps. It'll be handy for when the next lot ascape.

13. ben1

ben1 New Member

My cat once pushed my cricket keeper off a shelf and all of the crickets got out. Luckily they were too young to chirp and we caught most of them within a couple days.

14. kalisdaddy

kalisdaddy New Member

I've always been able to catch mine rather quickly and I usually break off they're back legs so they cant chirp :)

15. Bucketman

Bucketman Embryo

My friend uses silent crickets purely for the fact that if they escape and he can't track them down he can sleep without the 24 hour chorus of chirping!

16. kalisdaddy

kalisdaddy New Member

I didn't know such thing existed...Interesting...

17. Bucketman

Bucketman Embryo

I live in England so they might not be available in america I do not know how they do it but............

18. kreger101

kreger101 Embryo

d

lol the same thing happened with me..but with about 2 dozen crickets. i bought 2 doz at a petstore which gave me a bag with a hole..still fiding htem around my house lol

Jason K

19. S2ndQueen

S2ndQueen New Member

RE: d

my kitten kovu's favorite thing to do is knowck down my cricket keeper! ive managed to put it up high enough now that he cant get to it, but there was one "Great Cricket Escape" in which nearly 100 medium crickets were let loose! The worst of it was that Im the only one in the house who doesnt have a problem with bugs or reptiles! Fir the next week you could hear people stumble upon one a spazz out! Everyone was miserable, except for Kovu that is! He got to play cricket hunter over the next two weeks! He would sit around, stalk one down then trap it and torture it! It was so sad...

S2
    Era

20. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

You need my cat, Static. I call her my Cricket Caper:
    [​IMG]
    And so:
    [​IMG]

She loves crickets. She's only missed one so far.

21. Bucketman

Bucketman Embryo

Yup mine loves chasing them around the house, she climbs on top of the door to watch them sometimes if i ever have an escape that is. Well she will eat anything.
    Lovely cat by the way.

22. electrixx

electrixx New Member

-sigh- my dog chases them around and noses after them but he doesn't get as far as opening his mouth...lol. I usually catch the crix before he does.

back on subject though, if you've only had one cricket escape with you, damn you're good! I think I lose 10% of my crickets weekly... those sneaky little buggers chewed a hole through the screening in their container & I started seeing crix EVERYWHERE.. I about flipped out... but I found the hole & put some tape over it... and then it took about a week to find all the escaped crickets..blegh..

23. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

dagger, that is hysterical.

24. Neill

Neill New Member

LOL, this is why I keep all my crickets in the garage... It is more of a workshop than a garage. we do not park cars in it. There are probably about 50 or more loose crickets in there. chirping all night, but we do not hear them when the door is closed...

I am thinking of switching to roaches, just for the ease of feeding.

25. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

I just keep the crickets next to my brother's room in his closet. I hate the chirping but he doesn't mind it. Especially if I tell him 'Oh, sorry, one got loose'