I cant decide!!

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Ryan1990, Aug 18, 2006.

?

Which to get?

1. *

Blue tongue sking

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. *

Water dragon

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. *

Ackie

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. *

Desert iggy

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. *

Leopard lizard

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  6. *

Crestie

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. JBCT

JBCT New Member

Its strange that you mention that about women and large reptiles.

Most of the ladies I have met in the hobby tend to keep frogs, smaller lizards like leopards, chameleons, horned dragons and beardeds, smaller attractive snakes like various corn/kings and quite a few keep tortoises.

I have met a ton of women who keep frogs. Dont know why, women love frogs.

I havent met many that keep large monitors or pythons. Unless they are hardcore into the hobby and are actively breeding the things. I have met a few female boa/ball python lovers though. Ball pythons are smallish but I wouldnt call a boa small. Although not a monster like the larger pythons.

The exception to this is green iguanas which become very large lizards. Girls love iggys. Thats the only reason I keep one. :)

My ex was not crazy about the animals. She hated the food (insects and mice) much more than she disliked the reptiles. That was a constant battle. God forbid a cricket got loose and started chirping uh oh. I used to sit on the couch and pretend I didnt hear it. Made me want to release half a dozen tokays in the house just to handle the escapee crickets. But then one of the geckos would have bit her on the toe and then Id have another problem.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wrigley

wrigley New Member

Us girls...we like the pretties! Personally, I don't keep any frogs but I do like them. I'm a big fan of dumpies and poison dartd myself but I know when to call it quits. I just don't have room for one more tank. I used to own a couple of igs. One was a gorgeous green iguana but he was actually more of a turquoise. He was a beauty. My brother took him in when I had my second son. My two boys are only 1 year apart and my husband was out of town a lot so I just didn't have the time for him. Changing diapers and fixing bottles became a priority. The other one I took in a few years later. He was a rescue. He was a spiny tail. He had pretty severe MBD though and just never did well for me. The girl I got him from had no idea how to care for him and she kept him in a small tank with no UV, never supplemented and fed him iceberg lettuce. The poor guy got off to such a bad start that I wasn't able to help him. All four of his legs were so weak and swollen that he couldn't even stand on them. He ended up getting infection after infection. He was starting to get rubber jaw too. I ended up putting him to sleep. I just couldn't stand to see him suffer like that knowing I couldn't help him. He's the main reason I preach to all the kids about UV lighting. I agree with you, some of them can live without it but I would rather give them unnecessary UV than to watch that again. Just thinking about what he went through makes me mad all over again.

I get a lot of funny looks when people find out I keep reptiles. Even in this day and age people don't understand it. Especially when they ask about food. "They eat WHAT???" LOL Since I keepo mine in the basement I don't have to worry about the chirping and I have cats to catch any crickets that get loose. I don't think I'll be using crickets much longer though. They all seem to be accepting the roaches pretty well now. I think I will elliminate my anole tank as well. They eat anoles so infrequently that I think it would be easier just to buy a couple of them every other month. It seems silly to keep breeding anoles when they aren't eating that often. That would clear up some room for me lol.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. The_Guy8880

The_Guy8880 Embryo

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I cant decide!!

I live in australia and i think blue tongues r kinda lame since i seee them all the time, but u probly think the same about iggys and stuff that are popular over there.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. The_Rev

The_Rev New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I cant decide!!

go with the crestie, they are the best