I adopted my lil' girl, now I have a cpl of Q's

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Dylacat, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Hey, everyone. I adopted the 8yo grn iguana yesterday. I'm wondering, do you need to decholrinate the water that's in the enclosure? Also, I'm going to purchase a new UV bulb...just to make sure that I know how old it is. Can I buy a ReptiSun 2.0 UV bulb? Or do I need to buy the ZooMed Iguana Light? I was at HerpSupplies.com, looking and found the Iguana Bulb...don't mind paying more for the later one...just wondering. Also, I just love the Nutrition Chart for beardies, over at BeautifulDragons.com...is there one like that for iguanas on the net? And, one last question. I ordered a book from HerpSupplies, and wondered if any of you have opinions on it. It's called "Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owners Manuel," by James Hatfield.

Thanks in Advance,
    Rebecca

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

Dylacat, I would go with the Iguana light, but it's your decission. Also dont forget that Iguanas need UVA rays as well. About your water situation, I wouldnt worry about the chlorine, there is stuff you can buy at Petfood Center, or Petsmart that goes in the water to help with Vitamins.. Might look into that. As far as your nutritions guide. If your getting a book by James Hatfield, you'll find it. James is the foremost expert on Iguanas. That book should tell you everything you need to know

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

no you don't need to dechlorinate the water - that's only needed for fish and amphibians who saok the water in through gills or the skin.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

GKing~Thx for the rec on Hatfield. I had read the review on his book, and it had seemed to be the best...I appreciate your confirmation on that. I am also going to do the Iguana Light. I had figured that I would need to get that, and I don't mind paying the extra money, but you know how sometimes things are labeled a certain way just so that companies can get extra money? I wasn't sure if this was the case or not. The woman I got this from had said that she had used Reptisun 2.0...but then she had also said that the bulb was well over a year old. **shaking my head** I'm making an appt with the vet today, so that I can get her in to get a good look at her. Also, I need to get her nails trimmed. The woman said that she has never trimmed her nails in the last 8 years that she has had her. Needless to say, the nails are way long...too long.

Cynthia~Thx for the info on dechlorination. I wasn't too sure on that, cause I was always told that leos needed dechlorinated water...is that not true? I love your care sheet on them. I had bookmarked it, the last time you had given me a link...it's awesome. I also love what you say, "my never-ending-construction website." That's how I feel about mine. I keep adding, taking away, and tweaking it. It's always ever-changing. I'll hopefully be able to get some pics of her up later today. She is completely awesome.

Take care, and thanks again,
    Rebecca

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

dylacat i gota question for you...where are the pics of the little girl? lol

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Here ya go honey...Iggie pics

And see? You didn't even have to find the post. :p

Rebecca

12. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

you're very welcome! and your new girl is a beauty!! i'm so glad you decided to adpot - a WONDERFUL choice. and you got a good one, too! hopefully one day i'll actually *open* my stupid website . . .