hypo bull snake with too much attitude. plz help

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by myhouseisazoo, Sep 14, 2006.

1. myhouseisazoo

myhouseisazoo New Member

my boyfriend and i bought a bull snake yesterday not sure about the age. its about 2.5 feet long. when we went to take it out today she went crazy! in the pet store we took it out a couple of times and all was fine. but now shes really not happy. my boyfriend put on gloves to try and grab her and she bit him(gloves) 12 times. in like 5 min. in the process she pooped. im assuming she was scared. plz help anyone.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CraZed

CraZed Embryo

You should allow your snake some time to settle and get used to his new surroundings, give him a week or two and try again.Goodluck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. myhouseisazoo

myhouseisazoo New Member

if i wait a week or two will it assume that it won. because we didn't pick it up. do we still feed it?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CraZed

CraZed Embryo

Yeah you can feed it, i recently got a baby milksnake and for this first week im onll putting my hands in the tank when i need to. Like changing its water, putting him into his rubbermaid to feed him, clean up poop etc..

Just give him at least a week to settle down and then slowly start handiling him in his viv for a couple minutes, and gradually increase the amount of time you handle him untill your comfortable enough to have him out of the viv.

Have any pics of your bull? I LOVE them!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reako45

reako45 Member

Yeah, CraZed is absolutely right, when it comes to acclimation of a new snake. I usually follow the techniques described by Robert Applegate in his no longer published milksnake book. Observe first 3 days, feed a small meal, wait 3 more days, feed another small meal, wait 3 days for the meal to digest then handle for the first time. Granted Bulls are not milks, but I keep 8 snakes (modest # compared to some people), and I've used the week to 10 days acclimation period, and have had success w/ all but 2 of my snakes. My Children's python still has a bit of an attitude and for my WC sub adult Glossy snake it took a little over 3 weeks because of feeding problems (switching the snake from lizards to mice) and initial nervousness. The snake didn't like to eat in front of me @ first. Now, however, the Glossy will rise up out of his tank to take hoppers from my hand.
    Then again, a friend from the herp club I belong to (www.swhs.org) told me in his experience w/ snakes of the genus Pituophis (which is far greater than mine) CBs tend to be a bit more nippy than WC. I keep 2 WC Gopher snakes, and have not had any biting problem from either of them. Good luck.

reako45

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. myhouseisazoo

myhouseisazoo New Member

thanks everyone

12. kinsey

kinsey Embryo

You should definitly give it some time. you also should put it in a part of the house that is active [make sure it has a hide box] and it should help it get used to the people and activity. you also can just dangle your hands into the cage and sit there to let it look at them. good luck!