Hungry crickets

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by BeccaL, Mar 31, 2005.

1. BeccaL

BeccaL New Member

I went to a pet store today and held an adult crestie that had been chewed on by crickets :cry: The store owner was putting Neosporin on the wound. He said the people who work in the day keep putting the crickets in the tank when the crestie is sleeping. Sad, I wanted to get him and fix him up. :) My mom's taken in several mistreated birds. I loved to see them nursed back to health.

Do crickets always do this? This crestie was beautiful. He was yellow and had a stub tail.

Becca

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ShannanD25

ShannanD25 New Member

Crickets can be nasty little boogers. What is probably happening is that the crickets are not being gutloaded and are starving. SO they chew on the the predator. They can do this anyways which is why it is a good idea never to feed more then your critter can eat in 15 minutes. Maybe you should go back and find out if they gutload the crickets...Perhaps it could be as simple as that. And if you respectfully point out to the manager or dayshift folks how easily this can be avoided maybe you can stop it from happening again!
    Good luck

Shannan
    http://www.forum.leopardgeckosinc.com

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Thats a shame. Cresties are nocturnal and I could see why something like this would happen.