hunch back iguana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by kts, Jan 4, 2005.

1. kts

kts Embryo

one of my iguanas backs has like the bump right by its tail on its back. it looks like the bone is crooked or s omething but it makes him walk funny. ts only like 16 inches and is still a baby. i think it might have MBD because i few days after i bought it its arm broke but ive been treating it better cause i think it was being mistreated at the pet store. if it does have MBD, is there any way i can fix this? also, it seemed like it stoped growing compared to my other iguana. thanks ^_^

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i really think it is MBD. increase his calcium intake and make sure he has UVB lighting. if you can take him out for a few hours in the sunlight that would do wonders. you should also take him to a vet

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

MBD will require some medical attention. He really should be xrayed since he's already broken his leg, to check for other fractures. Any curvature in the spine is usually a sign of MBD. Is his jaw soft or pliable? You shouldn't be able to push in on the jaw. That's another sign of MBD. What's his current diet like? What type of enclosure? Does he show any signs of trembling or shaking when he walks or climbs? In advanced MBD they will begin to lose motor control and may become paralyzed and start trembling or having seizures. Definitely increase the amount of UVA and UVB. Keep the UV light on for a couple extra hours, natural sunlight is great too, like Klik suggested, but not just through a window (glass filters out most UV light) so it has to be outside and depending on where you live that may not be advisable. Dust his food with the calicum powder lightly every other day. Not too much, don't want to over do it. A vet may be able to give oral calcium which is a liquid and his body will take up more of it more quickly so it will help faster than powders. I wouldn't let him climb too much. If he begins to lose motor control, then he'll more likely slip and then break more bones.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kts

kts Embryo

no he doesnt look ill or wobbly or anything like that. he seems pretty normal, and no his jaw isnt flexible. i feed him dandelion greens, carrots, mushrooms, grapes, and other greens. i try to vary on it so it doesnt have the same old thing every week. i dont give him lettuce and that stuff cause i know its bad for them. i cant take him outside because i live in michigan and its winter now and winters heere are way bad. the only think i c ould do is open the window, but like you said it wouldnt do much. actually i think hes been recovering because this all happened a while back and i was just wondering, but he still has the hunch in his back

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kts

kts Embryo

i just was holding him last night and now it looks like one of his legs are broken :?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

Then you should really get him to a vet ASAP. There could be more breaks in other areas as well. You said he was walking funny before, it could be that the pelvis is fractured and that's why there appears to be a hump at the base of the tail. He really needs to be xrayed.

12. kts

kts Embryo

around how much will that cost

13. biochic

Depends on your vet and what else they do but I'd say it'll be at least a couple hundred dollars. I could be wrong though. I'd go in for an assessment at least and then they can explain any other costs.

14. kts

kts Embryo

well now his legs seem to be better i dont know whats goin on with this darn iguana