humidity

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by conservationist, Sep 28, 2006.

1. conservationist

conservationist Member

ok i know it helps to in crease the humidity when your snake sheds, so i was wondering if having a screen top to my cage would let the humidity out, and if it does what would be a good alternative to a screen top, like what else could i use that would still allow the snake to have suffecient oxygen and still keep the humidity up?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Thekingandmort

Thekingandmort New Member

We have our snakes in cages that have screen tops and the humidity doesn't seem to change much at all, when they are shedding all we do is put a bowl of fresh water in with them and it helps to bring the humidity up and they like to soak in it for awhile. We generally try to keep some water in the cage at all times, but when they shed we just put in a larger bowl with more water. Our Iggy really likes to be misted with a spray bottle from time to time when he sheds. This may also help your snakes and humidity.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Don't mist the snake directly (what kind of snake?), but misting the glass of the tank would be OK. An easy fix would be to have a piece of plexi-glass cut to fit about half of the top, put it on the warm side on top of the screen. That will still allow for ample air flow yet hold a good amount of humidity in the tank :(