How's Dubia Roaches for Leopard Geckos?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Tim3skimo, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

My leo that's 2 month old don't seem to like crickets. I brought her from a private breeder that takes very good care of his reptiles, but he fed her mealworms and roach nymphs.

I am breeding mealworms for her, I have 10 beetles, 200 mealworms and about a 100 pupa at the moment. So I'm thinking of breeding Dubia Roaches too :)
    I have checked the Roach Breeding sticky.

Can I keep her only on dubia roaches and mealworms? Has anyone here fed a Leo dubia roaches? I don't know what roaches he fed her, but I think Dubia Roaches. How many roaches should I get if I only want to breed them for ONE Leopard Gecko?

Lastly, I live in South Africa (WARM/HOT and humid) so do I really need a heat source other than what Africa already has? :p

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ben0918

Ben0918 New Member

Dubias and other roaches are actually a VERY good staple diet, better than crickets. They have a better meat to shell ratio and are easier to digest. mealworms should only be treats like once twice a week because their shells are harder for reptiles to digest. A majority or leos LOVE roaches. All leos i've keep never refused roaches. So yes a staple of MAINLY roaches with mealworms and worms as treats, crickets are a descent staple too. hope this helps. and plus dubias DONT SMELL!! big plus :)

Cammy likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Hey thanks Ben. I am starting a colony at the end of September :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Should also look into Superworms to replace the mealworms when your gecko is older. They are much better than crickets and mealworms and almost as good as roaches.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. naykid

naykid Member

I know this is an old post but i wanted to post.
    This is s great reference to Dubia breeding.I hope this works for you.

Attached Files:

StikyPaws312 likes this.