How to water young crickets?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by justin03, Oct 12, 2004.

1. justin03

justin03 Embryo

I was wondering how you water 1/4 inch crickets. I bought some 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch crickets. I have figured out how to raise the 1/2 inch, but the 1/4 inch crickets seem to be dying. A lot of them were dead to start. I cleaned them out and now tonight there are many more. It is not just the shells either. I think like 1 of the 1000 1/2 inch ones died. And there is probably 100 of the 1/4 inch ones dead now. I am using a sponge to water them. Are they drowning from that? Is there a better choice? Thanks for any help.

Justin

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Hello fellow Hoosier!!!

I don't think they are drowning if you are using a sponge. The problem with sponges is that they harbor bacteria from the cricks crapping all over them. You can rinse them all you want but it will not kill the bacteria. You would need to boil it.

I use a completely saturated paper towel folded a couple of times then placed in a medium sized lizard dish. I just throw the paper towel away daily and use another. No chance for bacteria to thrive.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Yeah you can also buy the cricket quencher cubes and such, but the paper towel is by far the cheapest way. I would however just place the wet towel directly on the floor of the cricket enclosure since you are dealing with the very tiny crickets. The dish works well for bigger crix, but it has been my experience that the really small ones cant climb up into a dish very well, and many die from not being able to reach the water. If you put it on the floor for them, everyone can get to it better. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Midwestherps

Midwestherps Embryo

Potato works just fine as well, cut the ends off and chop it into a few pieces.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ozarkcrickets

ozarkcrickets Embryo

Crickets

Make sure you have eggflats or something they can hide under in the corners of there cage. If not they will crawl on each other untill they die.

Hope this helps Doug
    Cricket Farmer

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. joe5555

joe5555 Member

i feed my young crickets lettuce with fish flakes so they get all the water out of the lettuce.

12. BabyFirefly

BabyFirefly New Member

jurrassiquench is a great product. it is a green gel that also contains calcium. flukers is also another great brand.

13. LIZZARLUVVER

LIZZARLUVVER Embryo

this is simple. cricket quencher is an absoulate rip off do not buy it. use a slice of fresh orange of another piece of fruit for hydration. and the calcium... simply buy so repcal or a similier product and lightly dust the crickets at certain feedings.

14. dan420

dan420 Member

I would not say that completely. It is alright if you put some crix in a separate tank, let them gutload on greens and crixket quencher, then when you feed them, they are super healthy for you animal, and you also just them, so they are really good for your herps.

15. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Fluker is a brand that is vetoed by most people that have been around reptiles for very long... their history of the iguana and a few years later the bearded dragon problems and how they treated owners over that was enough to make me NEVER purchase anything with their name on it. Thousands of diseased and sick animals were unloaded on the reptile market, those infecting many others and wiping out entire colonies. IF you were not around when the last mess occured with bearded dragon, you might want to read the artilces on this site about Flukers, how they hide inside other companies names and especially the artilce "and the winners are" which is hundreds of peoples experiences with reptiles shipped direct to them from Fluker Farms... its long, but leaves you with no doubt of the ethic of this company http://www.reptilerooms.com/Sections+index...e-artid-51.html