How to tell between Killerbee and Killerbee Yellowbelly?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by geckolover22, Jan 4, 2013.

1. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

I find it hard to tell if yellow belly is in with killerbee... is there anyway to tell such as in my killerbee yellow belly or would have to strictly rely on the breeders themselves to pick out the yellow bellies
    from the beginning?

2. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

hmmm....thats a hard one. Yellow bellies add flames and high yellow colors, but when you have super pastel already in there then it would be hard to tell. I guess you would have to look at them side by side to really determine if it had the YB gene.

geckolover22 likes this.
  3. geckolover22

Thats true which makes it a little challenging due to the fact I dont own a killerbee lol I've seen pics of Killerbees younger than mine having so much browning on them compared to mine then some that almost seem to match scale by scale....

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator Staff Member

The browning you describe is more likely an influence of different pastel lineages. The difference between a "cheap" pastel that is more orange vs a pastel that is more yellow can have a pretty significant effect on the resulting offspring and combinations in the lineage. That being said, Yellowbelly (het ivory) as a trait does tend to bring out the yellows.

Everything takes practice - a trained eye can distinguish a yellowbelly from a normal no problem, but at a glance they do appear very similar and many struggle with it.

The speckling, flames, and color are the main indicators. How well these markers show up on multi-'gene' animals is a mystery to me. I've honestly not had an opportunity to really examine too many morphs with YB incorporated into them aside from the base and a few double codoms.

When you pack so much into one snake (Homozygous 'Super' pastel + Spider + Yellowbelly + Epic ) it can be a challenge to really know whats going on without knowing the parents. This is where you have to trust your breeder and pick their brain. It isn't always possible to ID a morph in a particular animal at a glance, so you even sometimes see "Possible" carries for codominant traits and not just Recessive hets.

geckolover22 likes this.
  5. geckolover22

That's true I've seen some really amazing pastels and some that are dull orange and browning :/ I just saw the breeder the other day actually when I was working and he's says my boy has yellow belly in him so that's great ^_^