How to kill feeder mice?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by raggamuffin, Mar 18, 2005.

1. raggamuffin

raggamuffin New Member

I was just wondering what the standard practice was for killing and freezing mice that are to become feeders. I have heard about constructing gas chambers for the ditry deed but don't think I could bring myself so gas a load of cute baby mice. :shock: Is there another way of killing mice humanely?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JStrider

JStrider Member

if it would really be that hard for ya maybe buy em pre-frozen?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. raggamuffin

raggamuffin New Member

that's what I'm thinking, just don't think I could do it. :roll: Besides I would have the expense of buying all the gear to breed and sustain the mice as well as the gear to gas them so think I would be better of just buying them frozen. I could feed live mice to him and let him kill the mouse but I know that isn't approved. besides when I've tried jiggeling a mouse at him to encourage a strike he just seems scared. :shock:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. gadd19

gadd19 Member

i was told that killing mice by wacking the back of there heads off of a hard object like a table is not the proper way to do it....what do you guys suggest?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. DaremoAlpha

DaremoAlpha Member

pushing a pencil down across their necks breaks them and they will die

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. gadd19

gadd19 Member

whacking the back of there heads seems to be working for me. but if anyone can tell me if this is improper, or inhumane, tell me, and i can try the pencil trick.

12. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Breedin mice are so much cheaper. I bought a couple of mice at Christmas, and the one just had 15 babies. And for the price of food, and bedding, it is way cheaper. And mice, even when you feed them live, do NOT put up a fight, once the snake gets them.

13. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Except for the odd one that may find a way to bite the crap out of your snake. Of course there's also the risk of spreading parasites but other than those two pretty large risks feeding live is not problem.

My point is this, if you don't absolutey have to, don't feed live prey. Janice, many, many people who have kept snakes for years and years and years advise not to feed live due to the possible risk of disease transfer as well as the risk of the prey attacking the snake. There are photos and documented occurences of a snakes receiving horrible, horrible injuries because they were fed live pray. Again this has been advised and documented by people who have years of experience with snakes.

How much experience with snakes do you have, Janice? I strongly suggest you do not EVER advise someone feed live prey. I know it has worked for you but with many others it has had disasterous results and why you would advise such a thing is beyond me.

14. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I cant add too much to what Wideglide has say.
    With live feeding it's not a matter of if your snake is going to get bitten, it's when.

15. raggamuffin

raggamuffin New Member

wow, I didn't mean to start such a debate :oops: Just one question, not that I was thinking of feeding live as i think my snake would be scaerd of it but.
    If live mice that you have bred can pass on diseases whats to stop the deseases being passed on when the mouse has been pre-killed and then fed to the snake?

16. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

The risk of disease is lessened when you buy frozen feeders not necessarily with fesh killed. Freezing kills a lot of any parasites the mouse might have. The biting issue is the main risk you want to avoid, though.