How much heat can a red light give off? -urgent-

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Tim3skimo, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

I think they're infra red, my heat mat is only making the ground 29 degrees Celsius :( So I am going to get a red reptile light, will it make the enclosure a bit hotter? Well the warm side.

I feel so bad for asking so many questions...feels like I am spamming the forums but I'm just a really confident person

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

There is no such thing as to many questions! After all, the whole reason this forum is here is too help people so bring it on lol! So there is a HUGE difference between the red heat light and the clear heat light! you ready to hear it? One is red....and the other is clear lol! Most people believe that there is some sort of significant difference between the two, but really it just depends on the style and wattage of the bulb you buy. When they say that a light is infrared it just means that gecko can't see the light because they are incapable of seeing the infrared spectrum. If you want to raise the temperature a little bit more on the warm side, I would just buy a lower wattage clear heat bulb.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

29 deg C is about 84 deg. F.... thats actually a pretty good temp. What is the "cool" side temperature of the tank? How did you set up the heat mat in the tank?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

The heatmat is inside the wooden vivarium under carpet, it feels warm on my hand and the digital thermometer reads it at 29 and my old fashioned one reads it at 28-29, I must say that it is Winter here in South Africa.
    Some places say your warm side should be 95-97 F....now I am new to this but that sounds really hot... But then I find places that say 83-88 F or 84-90 F (warm side day temperatures) All these different information really confuses me and makes me stress... Cool side is around 24-25

Believe it or not I found a place that says ideal temperature is 90c...