How Long Does It Take FBT's To Lay Eggs? Also?AboutSickFBT's

Discussion in 'Fire Bellied Toads' started by jodi09, Feb 3, 2005.

1. jodi09

jodi09 New Member

Hi, I'm new:)

I have 5 Fire Belly Toads in one tank and they've been making the "barking" sound the last few nights and I have also seen them on top of each other (doing their thing, see picture below:)). I'm just wondering if there is any way I can tell if they're pregnant for sure and also how long it takes before they lay their eggs?

Also one more question. One of my Fire Bellies I think has stopped eating. He shrunk, and flips on his back, does back flips in slow motion, and goes in circles. I think I need to put him in a seperate tank. Does anyone know what might be wrong with him? I'll post a pic I took of him when he went on his back.

[​IMG]
    Then he does a back flip.

[​IMG]
    I love my Fire Bellies:D
    We're in the process of building them a better tank:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jodi

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hey there jodi - welcome!

first of all, i would get the sick one out of the tank. i personally think he needs to get to your herp vet. loss of coordination and the inability to right itself are not good signs at all. it coul dbe anything from an infection to a nervous disorder to a parasite to old age. he needs vet care and he might need medication.

second of all, when you set up their new tank you need to get some coconut fiber bedding (like 'bed-a-beast' or 'eco-earth' brands). it comes in a brick and you put it in warm water and it becomes THE perfect substrate for amphibians. gravel, sand, wood shavings, etc can cause terrible problems.

what is the humidity in the tank? the temperature? how often is the water changed and what do you treat the water with?

lastly, they fertilize the eggs as they are laid so you would see it occuring. just because the male is on top of the female (called amplexus) does not mean that eggs have been laid (much less viable ones).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jodi09

jodi09 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply:)

My boyfriend builds all of our tanks. We have 1 Australian Tree Frog, 2 anole Lizards, 2 Red Ear Slider Turtles, a bunch of fish, and African Dwarf Frog, and an African Clawed Frog. I had been wanting FireBellies for the longest time, but we needed to slow down on our pets (we tend to go a little overboard). So one day, while buying crickets I made a deal with the lady to buy all 5 of her FireBellies (they were in a real crappy tank and I'm a sucker for Froggies/Toads). She told me that all they needed was gravel and a little bit of water. When I got home I started reading up on them and I found out that is not the case. She had no clue what she was talking about. I've been reading that gravel is really dangerous for them so my boyfriend is almost done with their tank.

We keep our tank at arond 75ยบ and change the water 2-3 times a day (it gets really dirty because it's really small right now (until they get in the bigger tank). The lady told us to use tap water, but once I found out all the wrong things that she told us, I've been using the bottled water. What would you suggest?

I sure hope they are going to have babies...I love babies!!! and that would be amazing to watch:)

Thanks again,
    Jodi

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jodi09

jodi09 New Member

Oh, and I will be sure to get that litle guy out ASAP.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

bottled water is so expensive. for tap water treatment, i would highly (i mean highly *highly*) recommend amquel (or amquel plus). here's a pic: Kordon AmQuel. it is the only water conditioner that does *not* aid/form slime coat. slime coat is great for fish, but can cause shedding problems in amphibians. sometimes amquel comes with novaqua - do NOT use the novaqua (it aids/forms the slime coat).

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jodi09

jodi09 New Member

Thanks so much for all of your help! I will invest in some AmQuel ASAP.
    So do you think there's a chance they could be breeding or just look like it?

Jodi

PS- Just posted some pics of my tanks and other pets here:
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-9145.html[/ur;]

12. Hummingbird

well they are definately attempting and there is a chance that they will be successful as long as you have at least one male and one female in there.