how do you gutload mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Maka_le_\'a, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Maka_le_\'a

Maka_le_\'a New Member

okay questions! lol im so confused! okay how do you gutload a mealworm? i cant find anything on how to do that! and there was somthign eles i was confused about! OH! if you are soppose to gutload them arent they gonna be dead? and i though they only eat things that move! please help me! lol

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Smileen

Smileen Member

Gutloading is just feeding your mealworms so they are nutritious for your leo. You can feed them potatoes, carrots, or other vegetables, or you can buy a premade cricket food (Like Fluker's Cricket Quencher). This keeps them alive, and makes them good for your leo.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Maka_le_\'a

Maka_le_\'a New Member

so like just put that in the tank with the Leo?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Paulito

Paulito Member

Put all of your meal worms into a container in the fridge and put the gutload in the container.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Maka_le_\'a

Maka_le_\'a New Member

okay thankyou!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Maka_le_\'a

Maka_le_\'a New Member

what if i feed the mealworms like old potaoes? is that okay?? lol

12. Paulito

Paulito Member

I feed mine carrot (shavings) and I am going to start feeding them cricket gutload.

13. Maka_le_\'a

Maka_le_\'a New Member

okay i'll remember that! lol thanks!

14. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

Don't feed old or moldy vegetables. Definately not good for your leos. Yellow squash is a good choice. I put slices in with my crickets to serve as their water source and for additional nutrition, and the same goes for mealies.

15. Maka_le_\'a

Maka_le_\'a New Member

okay.. instead of puting the mealies in the Refg. what if i put them in a cooler with ice.. would that be okay? (i have a problem with Bugs in the fridge that if there are i wont eat or drink anything in there! lol) so yeah! lol

16. reako45

reako45 Member

In the case of crix and mealies I think the fruit and veggie slices are mainly for them to get their moisture. I've heard people use mashed up, gold fish flakes, baby cereal, dog food and/or chicken laying mash to gutload and store them in. LOL!

reako45

17. Smileen

Smileen Member

[quote name='Maka_le_'a']okay.. instead of puting the mealies in the Refg. what if i put them in a cooler with ice.. would that be okay? (i have a problem with Bugs in the fridge that if there are i wont eat or drink anything in there! lol) so yeah! lol[/quote]

That would be a lot of changing the ice. Also, you don't want to freeze them per se, but just bring them down to a temp so they are dormant until they warm up. Pet stores give them to you (in all my experiences) in a tupperware type tub. Sometimes the tubs are small, sometimes a bit bigger. Keep it in a drawer in the fridge, or the egg shelf or the butter shelf (with the lid thingy). Then you don't have to look at them except when you take them out for your leo.

18. Maka_le_\'a

Maka_le_\'a New Member

alright that siunds good! thankyou

19. herpslave

herpslave Member

Buy a mini fridge just for your feeders. I used to have a mini fridge When I was really younge for my mealworms that I fed my anoles.

20. Maka_le_\'a

Maka_le_\'a New Member

okay.. when i get a job i'll do that! lol, oh wait! target is selling some really really small ones for like 20 or 30 dollers! too bad i spent all my money already!! ON A LEOPARD GECKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay! i fin. got one today! i'll post pictures as soon as my dad comes hom from work which will be around 6 central time!