How do i handle my water monitor?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by KarlReptile, Dec 28, 2012.

1. KarlReptile

KarlReptile Embryo

Hi guys im quite new to this community. I got a water monitor about 2 feet long and hes been with me for 2 years. He's not shy, i can rub his chin and head without bothering him and he's not scared of me. He doesn't even care whose around. The thing is, i'm quite nervous on getting him out of the enclosure and hold him. Any suggestions on how to handle this guy? Or perhaps how to make him crawl onto my hand

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. awolthesnake

awolthesnake New Member

try feeding him with some tongs hold it above your arm and he will climb up your arm for the food just try that tell he is used to it and the move on to holding him for a few mins while still in the cage tell he is used to that then hold him longer and move him from the cage. All it is is a trust you need to build

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Also, be careful of not only the mouth, but the claws. some monitors if they are scared will grasp with heir forelegs and rake your arm with their hind legs. On top of this they will sometimes release their bowel or stomach contents (or both). Don't underestimate their power, even on small monitors. Sorry for the late reply, hope it went well!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. awolthesnake

awolthesnake New Member

ya when they poop on you it smells so bad